New PSU, scare stories have me... well, scared.

DBS90

Honorable
Jan 7, 2013
Hello all, many a time i have happened across tom's hardware when frantically scouring google for various problems i've had in the past. But for once i thought i'd ask you fine folks straight up.

Soon (payday) i'll be getting a new case and cpu cooler [xigmatek midgard 2 & be quiet! dark rock pro 2, respectively] and I've thought "to hell with it" and am seriously thinking of getting a modular PSU (my current PSU is an atrocious mess of multicolour wiring), a quick browse of scan and i've limited it to two options (although, of course, i'm open to suggestions).

One of them is the Corsair HX650 and the other the Seasonic X-650. Both seem great, but a quick google search makes it seem like PSU shopping is at best a mixed bag of results. Many people who went for the corsair, for example, experienced either DOA units or the quite frankly spectacularly weird "bird call" fan noise http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4r5yZuYLEUs
The Seasonic seems to have frustrated a number of customers also (DOA units etc), although mainly for their poor customer service.

I'd like to think that these are extremely rare cases, and whichever i choose would probably work just fine. But i'm the kind of guy who could walk through a field of flowers and come out smelling of sh*t! And if i'm going to throw £100 at a PSU, i want a near guarantee that it will work as intended.

Any info/suggestions/general comments would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
David

P.S. For anyone interested here are my specs:

Gigabyte GA-Z77-D3H
i5 3570k w/ arctic freezer 7 pro
8gb kingston HyperX Genesis XMP
EVGA GTX 460 1GB (next on the upgrade list)
Arctic Power 700W PSU (works fine, but gets a little hot and is moderately noisy, plus aforementioned disgusta-wires)

MakotoSGT

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2012

Get a Xigmatek Centauro 700W, its awesome.