Older system - want newer video card

txcarmel

Honorable
Jul 5, 2012
Hello,
I have an older P3 system that I want to do an upgrade on an AGP card that may be giving me issues. I am not a big time gamer, just looking for a newer/better card. I realize that my choices will probably be a used card considering the age of the equipment. Not looking to upgrade as both computers are working very well. I'm driving myself bonkers trying to disseminate all the information there is on video cards. I would like to stay with NVidia or ATI as both of these cards have worked well for me. But any help would be greatly appreciated.

I am currently running an ATI Radeon 7000 / VE Family card.

1000mhz Piii processors (2 installed)
Asus CUV4X-D motherboard
2Gig memory
250 watt power supply - can upgrade if need be
AGP / AGP Pro slot 4x

I located a EVGA GForce FX 5200 but I heard stay away from the FX cards.

Solution
I see. Well, definitely stay away from FX cards. They are ancient and can't handle any good multimedia purposes, other than watching youtube videos. If you are trying to get a good AGP card for cheap, I recommend the Radeon 3650 Graphics Card. You can get used, good quality ones on E-bay for cheap. This is a great card, and can do minor gaming just fine. Make sure you get at least a 300W power supply, and it would be great if you upgraded your processor. Hope I helped!

Lunatasian

Jul 5, 2012
I see. Well, definitely stay away from FX cards. They are ancient and can't handle any good multimedia purposes, other than watching youtube videos. If you are trying to get a good AGP card for cheap, I recommend the Radeon 3650 Graphics Card. You can get used, good quality ones on E-bay for cheap. This is a great card, and can do minor gaming just fine. Make sure you get at least a 300W power supply, and it would be great if you upgraded your processor. Hope I helped!

Solution

txcarmel

Honorable
Jul 5, 2012

Thanks for the input. I've read some good things about the 3650. I will upgrade to a bigger power supply. I was surprised that this machine was only running a 250 watt ps. Thanks again for the advice.

txcarmel

Honorable
Jul 5, 2012

As stated in my post, I am not a big time gamer, just looking for a newer/better card than what I am currently running as a replacement. According to my motherboard manual this an AGP Pro slot, but it reads I can also install an AGP card if I don't remove a warning label over the 20-pin bay?

With so many cards out there and being an older system it's hard to figure out what works and what doesn't and how much I can push my system, not that I'm looking to push the limits. Just want to know if there is a better card than my Radeon 7000?

I have used this website to compare different cards, but is there a website where one can input their computer specs and it will suggest video card options? If not, maybe someone should create an app for that. I'm sure I'm not the only person to suggest that idea.
http://www.gpureview.com/show_cards.php?card1=153&card2=36

sorry i interpreted that as you are not a gamer but would play them from time to time. what is the reason for wanting to upgrade the card?

txcarmel

Honorable
Jul 5, 2012
videos have been hanging. Added more memory but really didn't help that much, so I'm thinking the video card may be having issues, but can't be for sure. Thought that adding a "newer" model card might help it along.