Sign in with
Your question
Closed

7670m vs 7730m

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
July 5, 2012 4:37:41 PM

hello people,
i want to buy a laptop which can run 3D graphics for CAD software pretty easily.
i also will be playing moderate level games like NFS, which i suppose are not very intense on graphics. i have rounded down to dell inspiron 15r & 15r se.
15r has 7670m 1GB while 15r se has 7730m 2GB. i am a bit confused as to which 1 of these will suffice my needs.

my preferences are :
1. play hd movies without any problem
2. run CAD software without any lagging
3. play moderate games like NFS with max possible resolution without lagging.
4. battery efficient

please note that both laptops have same processor 3rd gen i5 3210.
the 15r se is costlier by about $100.
there is also a difference between wireless cards but i cannot exactly understand the difference. so can you please tell me which laptop is best for my requirements?
here are the tech specs :
15r se
http://www.dell.com/in/p/inspiron-15r-se-7520/pd.aspx?c...

15r
http://www.dell.com/in/p/inspiron-15r-5520/pd.aspx?c=in...

please help me as i know that there are people with high knowledge about these things on this forum.

More about : 7670m 7730m

July 17, 2012 12:54:52 AM

Hi cool_coder.

I see not one person has responded to your questions! That's good for a forum aint it?

I have just bought a 15r SE 7520.

1TB HDD
ATI 7730m / Intel HD4000 graphics.
Intel I7 3612qm.
8 GB RAM.

I have downloaded 3D Mark 11 and Elder Scrolls Skyrim.

I have not had much chance to run these applications as it's the first day I have had the laptop.
What I have seen is.....

3D Mark 11...... Not had a chance to play with the settings much. All tests seem to lag a little (a lot).
Tried on performance and extreme. As I said though I aint had time to configure the graphics card settings etc..

Skyrim...... Well it does look quite impressive. Yet again though... not a chance to adjust settings etc.

So far I am very happy with the laptop and for the money I spent I couldnt ask for much more.

As for your CAD software...... I dont think a mobile radeon will do. Maybe need a Fire GL or Nvidia Quadro.

For average games it should kick ass but higher end... maybe not?

You only have the I5 CPU. You can have an I7.

Anyway. I think someone else on this forum would be in a better position to answer your questions.

Anyone else ?????

Andrew. :-)
Score
July 22, 2012 3:19:12 PM

thank you andrew for being so kind to reply.
congratulations for your new laptop.
regarding i5 vs i7, i think i dont need i7. i find i5 to be sufficient as per my requirement. i7 sucks a lot of battery. also i dont get the same GHz in i7 as compared to i5.
how did you find the screen & speakers in comparison to other laptops that you might have observed?
anyways as i said i am not going to play hardcore games like the ones you mentioned, am satisfied with NFS. so i guess i wont find much problems... :hello: 
Score
Related resources
March 16, 2013 6:03:55 AM

i know that this is so late , But i'm also planning to buy this Dell 15r special edition i5 lap , and i just wanna use internet,watch movies,play games at Normal graphic settings (new games) , Can any of you tell me if it's good for that ? i did research alot about this and it seems to be good for normal gaming :)  + i love the 1Tb hdd which is hard to find
Score
May 29, 2013 9:51:29 PM

Lshith said:
i know that this is so late , But i'm also planning to buy this Dell 15r special edition i5 lap , and i just wanna use internet,watch movies,play games at Normal graphic settings (new games) , Can any of you tell me if it's good for that ? i did research alot about this and it seems to be good for normal gaming :)  + i love the 1Tb hdd which is hard to find

15 r se is a gr8 laptop but unfortunately its not available in the market except for the ones which are still in the stores. SE means special edition it was limited in numbers. dell has 15 r turbo instead but not as great as 15 r se. Dell launched 15 r se when crysis 2 was released and therefore amd gave them 7730m hd graphics card at a steal value.. even the laptops design is inspired by the game. download the latest catalyst driver beta from amd and you can run all the games at very high settings.. infact you would be really proud of your laptop when you perform high requirement tasks with ur friends.. this laptop is good to take on any high requirement tasks for the next 3 years.. atleast..
Score
!