Sign in with
Your question

Is my Computer too Hot?

Last response: in CPUs
January 7, 2013 11:28:42 PM

Hello,
Recently i had a problem with my computer, and it decided to turn it self off late at night after being on almost all day, normally this is something that i regularly do, as i turn my computer on from the minute i wake up, to the minute i go to bed (It's on roughly 10-12 hours a day)

After it's been on a couple of hours, it becomes hot to touch, not too hot that you can't hold your hand on it, but noticably hot, and i'm just not sure if this is normal or not due to it turning itself off, it also wouldn't turn itself back on until the next day, i assume because it cooled down, but even then i had to flick with the power switch a bit (Maybe a problem with the powerpack?)

Anyway, i'm using the Razer game booster to monitor my temperatures, and they are as follows (Or so it says)

CPU: 62 C
Mainboard: 62 C
Video Card: 66 C
Harddisk: 59 C
Fan Speed: This spikes from 100 to 15000

Processor Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E6750 @ 2.66GHz, 2664 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 2 Logical Processor(s)
NVIDIA GeForce 9600 GT
All i could dig up that i understand, sorry!

More about : computer hot

a c 188 à CPUs
January 8, 2013 1:18:56 AM

good temps are in the 30-40c at idle. I would turn the pc off..unplug it from the wall and blow the dust out of it. with the side case open check that the cpu and gpu fan are moving fine. if they are then look to see that all the case fans are moving. i would for now leave the side door off the pc and make sure the pc where it sitting has good airflow.
a b à CPUs
January 8, 2013 1:23:33 AM

It sounds as if you have a cooling issue. If your computer case gets that warm it's not moving the heat out well enough. The case should remain cool while the heat is transferred to the air.

But I'm just seconding what smorizio has said, in a different way.
Related resources
a c 141 à CPUs
January 8, 2013 1:43:07 AM

Check your power supply fan while you are checking the others.
January 8, 2013 11:42:37 AM

Ok, thank you very much guys, i'll give them a check and see what's happening.
March 2, 2014 12:32:41 PM

Apologies for the very late reply.

The problem was indeed with my Power supply, after resolving and exchanging that for a brand new supply, the computer started working flawlessly again with no problems.
!