Sign in with
Your question

Installed new PSU after my old one popped, now my gpu is poor.

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
July 5, 2012 6:52:07 PM

Here's what happened. I turned the psu on and there was a loud pop with a flash. I replaced my psu, the computer seems to work fine but when I play games it runs horribly. The graphics card is a gtx 580 and i've had some problems with it before (it came factory overclocked but was unstable at those speeds). The last time I had a similar problem with this card I managed to solve it by removing a tiny twig from underneath it (don't ask me how it got there). I'm not entirely sure it's the gpu that's the problem but it seems likely.

here's the new psu btw. http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=CA...

edit: I have an i5 5000k slightly overclocked, 8 ram and a z68 asrock motherboard.
a b Î Nvidia
July 5, 2012 6:59:18 PM

run some benchmarks such as 3Dmark and Unigen. check with other people with similar set-ups to see how your scores compare. if your GPU score is way lower than other people's, it's possible that your old PSU took a chunk outta your GPU when it popped
July 5, 2012 7:03:14 PM

It's possible that your psu damaged your gpu when it broke. Do you have access to another computer you can test your graphics card on?
Related resources
July 5, 2012 7:04:18 PM

I'll try that but I'll be flabbergasted if it performs well. Would it be worth getting a 680 if I were to replace my gpu do you think? or will I bottleneck it too much or what?

edit: sadly I don't have anything available to test it on.
a b Î Nvidia
July 5, 2012 7:23:47 PM

as I suggested above, download and run 3Dmark 11. and report back with the scores :) 

oh and an i5 2500k won't bottleneck a 680
July 5, 2012 7:42:24 PM

I just tried to run a 3Dmark 11 test and it wouldn't work for some reason. I opened up the case and poked around a bit, then started it up and it seems to be working fine now. I *think* I might have actually attached the screen to the motherboard rather than the gpu. It's possible that I'm actually mentally retarded.
a b Î Nvidia
July 5, 2012 7:59:33 PM

halpmeplz said:
I just tried to run a 3Dmark 11 test and it wouldn't work for some reason. I opened up the case and poked around a bit, then started it up and it seems to be working fine now. I *think* I might have actually attached the screen to the motherboard rather than the gpu. It's possible that I'm actually mentally retarded.

LOL, well, whatever workds... great news if there's no GPU damage :lol: 
!