GTX 560 Ti - EVGA or MSI?

Skeith_G

Honorable
Jul 4, 2012
Alright so this is a fairly straightforward question. I've decided on getting a GTX 560 Ti, but I'm not sure which one!
EVGA GeForce GTX 560 Ti - $195
MSI N560GTX-Ti Twin Frozr II - $250
(You can throw in other GTX 560 Ti's that I should also compare)
Obviously I'm fairly new to this, but as far as I can tell the differences seem to be:
MSI - +1GB Memory / Runs cooler / slightly higher Core and Shader clock / 3 Year warranty/ slightly larger / +$50 cost.
EVGA - Slightly higher Effective Memory clock / Lifetime Warranty / -$50

A lifetime warranty seems to be VERY overkill, considering this isn't furniture and it will be cycled out naturally by the time the 3 year warranty ends. To me, that makes it a rather unappealing point. Another point that is of little difference is the slight size difference (~0.37) as my case will fit both.
The main selling points are the memory difference, the fact that the MSI is supposed to run cooler as I live in a hot desert where it will easily be 40°C outside and 28°C inside with AC (rather than 20°C aka room temp), and price differences since $250 is a bit much as it is at the *absolute* top of my price range. I also don't know if my CPU will bottleneck me at any point.
So, which manufacturer should I go with?

ADDITIONAL INFO:
Used for: 1080p gaming (BF3, Skyrim, WoW, Vindictus) / recording / producing.
MB: MSI P55-CD53 (1 PCI-E x16 2.0 lane)
PSU: Corsair GS700 (obviously 700w)
CPU: Intel i5 650 @3.2GHz (Hyperthreaded, ofc)
RAM: Crucial 16GB DDR3
My case will also fit EITHER card.

Solution

exactly! but I do believe that the twin frozer cooler is worth the money compared to the EVGA one, especially since you live in a hot environment. no one likes their computer freezing up due to components overheating while gaming
I would go with the MSI. however, can you find a 1GB version of the card? I don't see the extra memory helping you much. as the card would not be able to run games that actually need 2GB of memory that well. (we're not there yet... expect those games to come a year or two down the road, and that would be at max details)

Skeith_G

Honorable
Jul 4, 2012

Ah, then running the 2GB version would make for a moot point. In a few years I'll just turn it off from High settings to Medium.

MSI N560GTX-Ti Twin Frozr II - $224

exactly! but I do believe that the twin frozer cooler is worth the money compared to the EVGA one, especially since you live in a hot environment. no one likes their computer freezing up due to components overheating while gaming

Solution

Kiromishu

Honorable
Jul 5, 2012
Ah, then running the 2GB version would make for a moot point. In a few years I'll just turn it off from High settings to Medium.

I am looking at the EXACT same cards for my new rig and my question is in those few years the MSI 2G card should be able to be found for cheap to put a second card in my box in SLI...

So thinking about the future to me it seems that the +$50 for the 2 gigs now could make a difference down the road if you buy a second card possibly to keep those High settings??

Also to throw in a question of my own here since I am literally looking at the same cards, I play 4x games almost exclusively, I was thinking big universe = more mem to work with will help down the road with 4x game bottlenecks?

So for 4x games would the $50 for the second gig be worth it for down the road when I plan on eventually dropping in a second card in SLI? or should I save a few dollars here as I was hoping to only spend $200 or so on my graphics card?

Thanks!!!

since he's buying the card new now, it's not a good idea to be thinking about getting another cheap CUSTOM card for the future. the reason I say this is that the card will be discontinued by Nvidia sooner or later once it becomes unprofitable to produce, and finding a custom modified card (such as one with 2GB of memory instead of one) will be difficult. more likely than not, you won't be able to get a good deal on one. just try to find any of the older generations of cards with extra memory... take the 580 for example, it was recently discontinued, and the cheapest 3GB 580 I see are like $600...

as for you and 4x games, that type of games do not take much video memory to run. it can eat up system memory sure, but video memory's mainly used for high resolution textures, or essentially eye-candy. you see heavy video memory usage in games like crysis3, BF3, and skyrim