Sign in with
Your question

Orange light, but computer not turning on.

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
July 5, 2012 7:21:11 PM

every time i try to turn on my computer, i press the power button and an orange light blinks once, but the computer doesn't start. i tried opening the case while turning it on, and when i pressed the power button, all of the fans spun a little, and 2 very small red lights blink once on my GPU. today is the first day that my computer wont start at all after a bunch of tries, and usually my computer will start if i keep pushing the power button. any suggestions?

Dell Studio XPS 435mt
4GB RAM DDR3 (4 sticks, 1GB)
ATI Radeon hd 4850
intel core i7 920 bloomfield
a c 158 U Graphics card
July 5, 2012 7:44:55 PM

If it's in warranty, contact Dell.

If not, check the motherboard for any issues like bad capacitors, reseat the power supply connections, try a new power cable and jack. If that does not fix things, try a new power supply.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
July 5, 2012 7:46:40 PM

did you try to clear CMOS by mother board jumper or unplug the power cable then remove motherboard battery for 5 minutes.
m
l
Related resources
July 5, 2012 7:48:05 PM

i checked capacitors and they are all fine.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
July 5, 2012 7:48:10 PM

its the power supply, on a dell most times its orange when dead green when good.

m
l
a b U Graphics card
July 5, 2012 8:21:00 PM

As someone who works on and has worked on many Dell computers - The great randini is pointing you in the right direction.

I have seen many dells show an orange light (and computer wont turn on) due to a bad power supply. This seems to be a recurring issue with a lot of Dell Desktop computers.
m
l
November 24, 2012 2:55:14 AM

I had the same problem with my Dell Studio XPS 435MT. The LED on the power switch would glow amber while the PSU LED was green. However, it wouldn't boot. While the stock Delta PSU is rated at 360W, it degrades over time. Eventually it doesn't supply enough power to boot the system. I replaced the PSU with a 600W modular unit that has a big 135mm downward facing fan. Had to bend a tab down in the case for it to fit. Recommend using a PSU with modular cable system as it's tight in that little case.
m
l
!