beamj

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2010
Hello everyone,

First let me provide my system specifications.

Case - Corsair 800D
Memory - Kingston (cant remember part number) 24 GB kit @ 1600
Processor - Intel 940 Core I7
Mobo - Gigabyte X58-ud7 Rev 2.
Power supply - Corsair HX1050
Graphics Card - Zotac Amp2 edition GTX 580 (3 GB ram)
Storage - 2X 3TB WD Caviar Green (one for iTunes media and one for backup)
1X 2TB WD Caviar Black (Personal pictures and downloaded programs for review)
1X 1TB WD CAviar Black (Gaming storage location)
Boot Drive - 2X 120 GB Kingston V100 (first edition at 180 mb/sec) in Raid 0
CPU Cooler - Corsair H100

Ok so now the question.

I bought my I7 (sealed box) off of craigs list and it has been giving me fits. It is almost 3 years old now and the memory controller in it I believe is bad. It will not run any memory at the performance profiles available. The Corsair memory I had (1600 mhz) would only run at 1066 and same with the Kingston memory. Regardless if I ran one stick or 3 or all 6 sticks of memory the issue remained. As such I used Gigabytes EZ Tune software and a bit more tweaking to get my processor to 3.9 GHZ and then the memory would run at 1600 mhz without issue. This lasted just over a year. Last night I got a C1 error on the mini diagnostic panel on the motherboard. Dropping down to 16GB of memory fixed and again reaffirms my suspicion of a bad processor.

It is getting more and more difficult to find Core I7 processors (yes newegg and tiger and microcenter have them but quantities and selection are limited now).

I have about $500 to spend and am confused on processors now. I would like a motherboard which has thunderbolt on it. Gigabyte should have one soon and Asus and MSI I believe have one now. This limits me to an 1155 socket. Keeping my budget in mind, and I want to re-use as many of my parts as possible, especially would be nice to keep the RAM as I have 6 GB of corsair and now 24 GB of Kingston lying around.

I have had great success with Gigabyte boards and both MSI and Asus have left bad tastes in my mouth in the past.

I am not afraid of overclocking and actually would like to push 4GHZ :)

Thank you all for helping out in advance.

nafoni

Honorable
May 18, 2012
What voltage is the Kingston RAM (1,5V or 1,65V)?

To me it looks like you'll only have to replace the motherboard and CPU (and the RAM if it has a bad voltage).

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($324.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UP5 TH ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($244.98 @ NCIX US)
Total: $569.97
(Prices include shipping and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2012-08-24 12:21 EDT-0400)

beamj

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2010

nafoni

Honorable
May 18, 2012
Sorry man, but it really looks like you'll need new RAM as well.

As obsama1 said, are you absolutely 100% sure you need thunderbolt?
And yes, if you're only gaming, the 3570K is the best bet.

beamj

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2010
Thunderbolt is not a must. I was hoping to remove some of the HDDs from the case and use more expandable external storage. I know TB is in the early stages and was hoping to be able to jump on the bandwagon early...

So in essence TB is not necessary.

Ram - I have had good luck with Corsair and Mushkin. But my last build is 3 yrs old so I am open to other manufactures.
Mobo: Pls suggest
CPU: Must be Intel. Hoping IB is the way to go and I am not afraid of Overclocking (3570K sounds good for the price point)

Guessing $650 is the new price point (looks at wallet which will be very vacant after that purchase)

And thank everyone for their help.