Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Burn Win7 x64 on x86 PC

Last response: in Windows 7
February 8, 2012 2:49:55 PM

I'd like to know if I can burn Windows 7 x64 to a DVD+RW x4 on a Windows 7 x68 computer.

More about : burn win7 x64 x86

a b $ Windows 7
February 8, 2012 3:01:42 PM

yes no problem
Score
February 8, 2012 3:14:35 PM

mcnumpty23 said:
yes no problem

Are you sure? I think I read at MS that I can't do that.
Score
Related resources
February 8, 2012 3:14:38 PM

lol an "x68 computer".

I don't recommend burning Windows 7 64bit to a DVD at all. In fact I recommend creating a USB version of Windows 7 to install on a computer if it is a newer computer. This may save you some DVD's and USB install of windows 7 is a little faster I think. Use a 4 or 8GB minimum sized USB to install it. It's also a little safer to install than a DVD that may get scratches on it.

I don't use a CD or DVD-ROM in my desktop anymore. In fact, my most recent computer build did not have a disc drive planned for it.

http://www.pendrivelinux.com/yumi-multiboot-usb-creator...

This should serve all your future USB needs.
Score
a b $ Windows 7
February 8, 2012 3:42:20 PM

muradw2 said:
He's sure. And he's right.
I think you probably read that you can't do an inplace upgrade from Win7 x86 (32bit) to Win7 x64.
Burning an .iso image? The OS won't matter. You could get it done with a Linux computer, for example.
Score
a b $ Windows 7
February 8, 2012 3:54:55 PM

magnesiumk said:
lol an "x68 computer".

I don't recommend burning Windows 7 64bit to a DVD at all. In fact I recommend creating a USB version of Windows 7 to install on a computer if it is a newer computer. This may save you some DVD's and USB install of windows 7 is a little faster I think. Use a 4 or 8GB minimum sized USB to install it. It's also a little safer to install than a DVD that may get scratches on it.

I don't use a CD or DVD-ROM in my desktop anymore. In fact, my most recent computer build did not have a disc drive planned for it.

http://www.pendrivelinux.com/yumi-multiboot-usb-creator...

This should serve all your future USB needs.

its still easier to burn an ISO to a disk then trying to figure out how to get that configured right
Score
February 8, 2012 5:12:46 PM

captaincharisma said:
its still easier to burn an ISO to a disk then trying to figure out how to get that configured right

It might take some time to configure, but i keep the USB handy. I usually end up needing various versions of operating systems. Such as linux or windows. One USB to rule them all....

What also might work is...

http://www.linuxliveusb.com/

This one is VERY VERY straight forward. User friendly.
Score

Best solution

a b $ Windows 7
February 8, 2012 5:34:33 PM

muradw2 said:

yes i am absolutely sure

and as mentioned you can do it from usb as well--although thats not what you asked

though sometimes getting the usb flash drive bootable can be hit and miss and sometimes when installing from

usb flash drive you get the a required cd/dvd device driver is missing error message if you havent done it right

i always make my usb bootable by manually using diskpart--although its harder to do it that way its always

worked correctly for me
March 6, 2012 5:30:06 PM

Best answer selected by muradw2.
Score
a c 416 $ Windows 7
March 6, 2012 6:14:59 PM

This topic has been closed by Area51reopened
Score
!