CPU upgrade to a dell motherboard

SirJohn1985

Honorable
Jan 8, 2013
Hello, I am wanting to upgrade my motherboards cpu to http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103871
But I dont know if my motherbaord can handle it. Its a Dell 04GJJT AMD 785G Chipset and southbridge is a AMD SB700 LPCIO ITE IT8720 my current CPU is a AMD Athlon II X2 250 Socket AM3 (938) MAX TDP is 60w I want to know if I upgrade to the Athlon x4 will it blow my mother board I ask casue I dont know what my Max TDP is for my mortherboard I only listed the 60w tdp cause thats what cpu-z says.

trumpeter1994

Honorable
Mar 27, 2012
It should work fine, the TDP shouldn't matter as that the design of the Chip not the motherboard. For example you can run Sandy or Ivy bridge chips on a Z77 board, and they have different TDPs. Don't forget to change your thermal compound when you make the upgrade.

SirJohn1985

Honorable
Jan 8, 2013
Alright thank you for the help. I just didnt wanna have to buy a new motherboard right away so thats why i asked.

That is absolutely wrong.

Most OEM motherboards have weak power regulation circuits and will either have trouble with CPU's that draw too much power and in some cases will not allow them to boot at all. It all depends on the maximum TDP the board will support. Odds are in your favor that the 95w cpu you are looking at will work in that board, but I have seen many a 65w OEM board that reject a 95 watt cpu or blow up with it.

I tried to look up the max TDP of that board and have so far been unsuccessful. I have determined that the board does not have dual plane power which means it will not run an X6. It also means it will not run anything over 95 watts. But the limit might be 65w.

Bottom line: It might work, it might not.