Computer Lock Up in Game, GTX 570

scumone

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2012
I am desperately seeking advice on a computer lockup issues which i have troubleshooted and identified as being an issue with my GTX 570.

What is happening is that in any game (Skyrim, Wargame European Escalation being the two i have tried) i am suffering a total freeze of the computer, normally within minutes of being 'in game' but it has happened in menu screens also. All devices become inoperatable including keyboard and mouse. I have no ctrl, alt, del does not work. There is no option other to restart the computer.

So far i have upgraded driver software and roled back driver software to no avail, i have also upgraded the bios to the latest version i could find for the motherboard which came with the machine. Neither has made a difference, if anything it has made it worse. I ran a 3D check diagnositics tool which initially froze 58 seconds in, the second trial after the bios upgrade it froze within seconds.

Hunting around online i see people talking about power supply issues causing their 570's to freeze but often they have built their comps with poor power supplies. Considering this machine has been fine since i purchased in in jan 2011 i am assuming that this is not the case. I did try using a different plug socket (how desperate!) but unsurprisingly that made no difference.

Basically i am getting concerned that the card might have become faulty and i am skeptical that 'formatting' the machine will make a bit of difference as the issues appears to be hardware based.

Processor (CPU) Intel® Core™i7-870 Quad Core (2.93GHz, 8MB Cache) + Turbo Boost
Motherboard ASUS® P7P55D-E PRO: USB 3.0, SATA 6.0GB/s, CrossFireX™ / SLI SUPPORT
Memory (RAM) 8GB KINGSTON HYPER-X GENESIS DUAL-DDR3 1600MHz, X.M.P (4 x 2GB KIT)
Graphics Card 1280MB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX570 - 2 DVI,mHDMI - DirectX® 11, 3D Vision Ready
Power Supply CORSAIR 650W TX SERIES (TX650) 80+ ULTRA QUIET PSU
Processor Cooling TITAN FENRIR EVO EXTREME HEATPIPE CPU COOLER

I have no issues at other times with this machine just gaming.....

Wow.

Any help would be appreciated.....

Thanks
Adam

0absolutezero

Honorable
Jul 6, 2012
I don't think it could be your PSU because its a nice one, more than enough wattage. I am sorry to say that i think your graphics card is broken...i would RMA it if you can and get it replaced . It cannot be your drivers if what you said is true. Good luck! (Also if you just installed the card then make sure it's in the right PCI express slot 16x, that could seriously hinder performance and cause lock ups...)