LeetGoose

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2010
I need a bit of help in terms of proper order to go in. My last GPU, 8800GT, died on me so I had ordered a 6850 as well as Windows 7. I'm unsure of what the proper order of installations and steps I have to take. I obviously want to back up stuff on my computer, but with the 8800GT Windows XP won't load but I can get into safe mode. Do I install the 6850 first, back up everything in safe mode, and then install Windows 7? If anyone can give me a run down of the order I'd really appreciate it.

G

if it is just documents, pictures and videos; during the installtion of W7 you will have the choice of saving that data in a window.old folder.

if it is more complicated than that; the steps you laid out will work. install drivers in XP (you won't need safe mode anymore it should be fine), back up data, clean install and then install the W7 drivers.

all you need is install the new card.boot into safe mode and use drive sweeper to remove the nvidia drivers then reboot.
if windows xp is fine you should be able to boot into xp and install the video drivers for the new card.
you can then back up your files and install windows 7 if you want.

LeetGoose

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2010
Just so I understand correctly:

1. Install 6850 hardware
2. Boot into Safe Mode
3. Remove 8800 drivers with driver sweeper
4. Boot in Windows XP normally
5. Install 6850 drivers
6. Back up file onto portable hdd
7. Install Windows 7

Correct? Should I uninstall drivers in device manager before using driver sweep?

LeetGoose

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2010
I was suggested that instead I should

1. Install 6850 hardware
2. Boot into safe mode
3. Back up files onto portable harddrive
4. Boot Windows 7 from the CD

That I have no reason to go back to XP, and therefore no point in dealing with drivers. What do you guys think?

G

thats fine, staying in safe mode you won't need the drivers. you just look at a lower resolution (bigger windows) when working in it.

LeetGoose

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2010
The only thing I'm unsure of is that I was told that in order to boot from a CD I'd have to launch the boot manager on startup, and that each motherboard is different in terms of what you have to press. How do I figure out what to press?

G

good question, all mobo manufacturers are different. my EVGA it was the esc key but on my asus it is the F8 key.
if you do not want to go googling; which may not turn up anything or the potential long effort into trial and error; go into the BIOS hitting the DEL key and set the CD to boot first and the set it back to the HD at the first reboot; after windows gets done copying the set up files.

LeetGoose

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2010
What set up files exactly? I really want to get a clear run down of order.

1. Install 6850 hardware
2. Boot into safe mode
4. Reboot computer and go into Bios
5. Set CD to boot first

This is where I get a bit confused, when exactly do I put in the Windows 7 CD? When I'm in safe mode, or after I change set CD to boot first in the bios?

G

anytime before you reboot from setting the CD drive to boot first. if you forget i believe there is a 10(?) second time out before it will then boot off of the hard drive. OR if is just giving you a "no operating system found" because you forgot the CD, just insert it and press contl/alt/del to reboot.

LeetGoose

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2010
Alright so,

1. Install 6850 hardware
2. Boot into safe mode
4. Insert Windows 7 CD
5. Reboot into Bios
6. Set to CD boot first
7. Reboot into Windows 7 install

After the install is finished, I'm assuming I restart and boot back into bios to switch it back to boot from the harddrive right?

G

yes, you got a handle on it; don't worry you'll be good.
I'm assuming I restart and boot back into bios to switch it back to boot from the harddrive
you've even figured out the next step yourself.

TRENDING THREADS