ATA100 vs. Ultra2Wide vs. Firewire Vs...

G

Greetings. I would appreciate anyone's help. I'm currently running a dual celeron system o'ced to 550 and have a ultra2 (80mbs/sec) 9.7 IBM Deskstar hardrive. I'm running out of space and I need some advice on what to go to. This computer is my "everything" computer for the time being, until I make some more money to purchase dedicated systems. I'm currently doing 3D animations, image manipulation, web development, video capture, etc. I need a lot of storage and speed adequate enough for me to do some video editing and multitasking (burn a cd, render a animation for example). I've heard that the ATA100 (IDE) are adequeate enough. I saw (from adaptec's site) that firewire transfers 400mb/sec. I know SCSI is good for scalibility, speed and multitasking. Now a few questions:

1. Should I even consider buying an old SCSI Ultra 2(80mb/sec) drive?

2. Should I get a ATA100 system drive for applications, then run the rest scsi (for video editing and 3d animations), and have firewire for backup?

3. Should I just go ATA100 and leave it at that?

I have some other questions that I can't think of now, but I leave it at this. I deal with enough stuff already, and this storage stuff is making me dizzy. I'm also on a tight budget right now, so keep that in mind (but don't let it limit your suggestion). Thanks in advance for you experienced help.

Messiah EYAWHOOSHUA is the key to your salvation.

G

ide is dramatically cheaper now than scsi... if you NEED the scsi speed and low cpu usage, keep the scsi 9.1gig and use it for DV editing and swap file... then buy an IBM 40gig 60gxp Deskstar 7200 rpm... one of the fastest IDE drives on the market... i have one and its as fast or faster than my old scsi drives... i paid about $120 shipped on pricewatch.com... just make sure your bios supports 40gig drives

*note - you will wanna keep the scsi for video editing due to the low cpu overhead...

www.stoleyourdomain.com $12 a year domain registration! whoo! go SYD!

G

the cost is signifigantly more... but if you sold the scsi card and drive... you could pay for one of the drives and cheap Promise ata/100 raid 0 controller... the striped ide drives would smoke the scsi for speed, but sacrafice a lot of cpu time and raid 0 has a high risk of failure... it all depends on your wallet...

www.stoleyourdomain.com $12 a year domain registration! whoo! go SYD!

G

Reliability is something I definetly need. If I did a Raid 0, I would have to have a nightly backup. CPU time can be precious even with dual processors when rendering 3D frames. Especially effects layers. :( Maybe raid 0 for applications, keep the scsi drive for video editing/animations(maybe even get another for sound) and firewire for backup? Sounds solid?

mbetea

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2001
ata100 drives in a raid 0 is plenty. to get enough storage/performance from firewire, too costly. scsi is ok if you're working with 2k images, but for dv it's overkill. current ata100 drives will stand up to older scsi and if you go for newer scsi's, it'll cost you. you sound like backups are a new thing? should always have backups, regardless of raid or standard hdd controllers. raid 0 is fine for workstation use.

CPUs are like testicles, every computer should have 2!

G

Thank you and the rest that have replied. Thanks for the info. Mbeta. I'm backing up with cd-rs, and was just thinking that there has gotta to be a better way (until dvd burners come down :) ).