Sign in with
Your question

CPU and motherboard socket concern.

Last response: in CPUs
January 8, 2013 7:43:12 AM

So today i decided to replace the thermal paste on the intel i5 2400, which I have to admit caused me a great deal of trouble thanks to the heatsink. I'm using the Cooler Master N520 heatsink (which is a giant and heavy heatsink). In the processes of installing the heatsink, there is really no other way besides keeping the computer vertical while the thermal paste is on the cpu to install the heatsink and screw the pad that comes with it in the back of the motherboard. This obviously caused the thermal paste to drip a little while I was trying to install it. I wiped whatever dripped and it dripped a little on the metal Intel cpu holder, which I don't think is a big concern. What I am worried about however is whether anything could've actually dropped maybe inside of the motherboard socket. After I installed the heatsink the computer works just fine and the temperatures became slightly better, but I'm still worried if the thermal paste did drip and if that could actually hurt my mobo in the long run. MY question now is, could the intel motherboards actually allow thermal paste to slip through from the sides of the cpu and down to the socket? because I kept looking left and right to see if the socket is exposed in any way, but I couldn't even see the pins (keep in mind that I replaced the thermal paste without removing the cpu). Also my second question is, does anyone know whether the Cooler Master thermal paste that comes with the N520 actually be conductive? I looked all over the manual and their website, yet I couldn't get any info on it.
a b à CPUs
January 8, 2013 7:52:34 AM

Once the CPU is put into the socket there is no part of it that is exposed so I don't think any thermal paste would have gone into the socket.

Just don't let it drip on any electrical contacts on the board because some thermal pastes are conductive.

If the PC is running fine then I guess there is nothing to worry about!
January 8, 2013 9:22:16 AM

Thanks for the quick reply and I really hope you're right.
!