How to get Apple Thunderbolt Display to work with Asus

Status
Not open for further replies.

sirgrotius

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2006
So, I have an ASUS P8Z77-V Premium motherboard with Thunderbolt technology. Thing is, I want to hook up my Apple Thunderbolt Display (27") to it, but the display is not turning on. The display works fine with my Apple products.

Do you think this is something that I can get working, or is it a no go?

I have an Nvidia 680 if that helps.

Thanks!

cuban_pete

Honorable
Nov 11, 2012

Hi sirgrotius, did you ever find out how to get this working? I have a similar setup (Asus P8Z77-V PRO/THUNDERBOLT mobo with a Gigabyte GTX 670) and have exactly the same problem. I have even extracted all of the APple drivers from the Boot Camp media but cannot get the Thunderbolt Display to work! The Gigabit Ethernet works on the display, as does the camera AND the firewire 800. But my nVidia graphics drivers (and probably the OS itself) do not see the display itself :fou:

Any help you can give would be greatly appreciated!

Many thanks

Cuban Pete

sirgrotius

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2006

Unfortunately, I never got it to work. :(

Kukkimonsuta

Honorable
Nov 23, 2012
Hello, this is actually pretty easy. My setup is following:

Apple Thunderbolt Display
MSI N680GTX Lightning
Intel Core i5-3570K
MSI Z77A-GD80

Important thing to make this work is to have motherboard with thunderbolt port and support of LucidLogix Virtu MVP (which P8Z77-V PRO/THUNDERBOLT has) and processor with integrated graphics.

If you don't have other monitor that you can plug in directly to discrete card, you will have to remove the card first (otherwise you won't see anything at all).

1) go to bios setup and find Virtu Technology configuration (for me it was under Advanced -> Integrated Graphics Configuration)
2) enable Virtu Technology and IGD Multi-Monitor

Now you should be able to startup computer with only Thunderbolt Display connected and actually see stuff, however it won't use discrete card yet.

3) install latest Virtu MVP driver (http://www.lucidlogix.com/driverdownloads-mvp.shtml - or directly from your vendor) and define which programs should use discrete card

And now you are set. Your system now should use integrated card except when you are using one of the programs you just defined in MVP Control Panel - in that case Virtu MVP will somehow reroute output from your discrete card to the thunderbolt output. It actually doesn't affect performance negatively and can even boost it if you enable Hyperformance. I don't think it's possible to use ONLY discrete card for everything and still redirect it's output to thunderbolt - if you find out how to do that, please let me know :)

xhtml2

Honorable
Jan 19, 2013
I have a similar set up:
MSI N660TI-2GD5/OC GeForce GTX 660 Ti
Intel Core i5 - 3570K
GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UP4 TH

I have also managed to get connected to my Apple Thunderbolt display using Virtu. I am not sure how stable this is yet and I cannot answer the question about using the discrete card only but I do have a question about connecting to the display.

I am only able to connect to the display using the built in Thunderbolt cable. I also purchased a second Thunderbolt cable because I wanted to be able to use the other Thunderbolt port on the back of the display (because I could then leave my Mac Mini connected with the built in). But using the other port does not work and I wondered if anyone had a suggestion as to why.

chitinid

Honorable
Feb 1, 2013

According to Apple, multiple Thunderbolt displays can't be used with windows, for whatever reason.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5219?viewlocale=en_US#10

Status
Not open for further replies.