Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Can i get i5 2500k with 1600 mhz ram

Last response: in CPUs
Share
January 8, 2013 9:21:25 AM

Hi again guys ! I want to ask is there issue to combo i5 2500k with 8gb 1600mhz kingston hyperx blue , I`m asking coz in the specs of the cpu it supports 1066/1333 mhz ... and the other thing is should i get 3570k coz its almost the same but with the 1333/1600 mhz ram support :)  and is it matter the integraded gpu ?

More about : 2500k 1600 mhz ram

a b à CPUs
January 8, 2013 9:30:31 AM

Yes, you can, but supposedly it can void warranty (it counts as using overclocked RAM).
January 8, 2013 9:35:18 AM

mmm ... so its better to get 3570 then ? :) 
Related resources
a b à CPUs
January 8, 2013 9:43:25 AM

The 3570K is also more powerful, though not by much. If the price difference isn't major yes, I'd get the new CPU.
January 8, 2013 9:46:19 AM

its not that big but i`m wondering also with the oc withc one of the cpu`s can handle better overclocking ? coz i know 2500k is famous ith that
a b à CPUs
January 8, 2013 9:50:20 AM

The 2500K may hit higher numbers but it's quite irrelevant in the big picture.
January 8, 2013 9:55:52 AM

you can use 2500k with 1600 MHz memory...
The speed of the memory will be automatically adjusted by the motherboard; however, if you can afford the 3570k, it will be bit better (just because it is bit more efficient & newer tech) :) 

Both overclock superb but the newer 3570k has some manufacturing issues with the heat speeder (glued, not soldered as with 2500k) which tampers a bit with high overclocks (4.6+ GHz)
January 8, 2013 10:01:55 AM

aaaa... i see the motherboard that i chose its z series asus and for the job of oc i have decided to get cm 212 evo to cool down the cpu is this good coz i cant afford to get high end cooling for now coz of my budget
January 8, 2013 10:07:12 AM

Asus P8Z77-M and this is the mobo that i chose is it good for that and gtx660 ti gygabite oc ?
a b à CPUs
January 8, 2013 10:16:07 AM

Yes, it's all good.
January 8, 2013 10:17:16 AM

Okay :)  ty all :)  for everything if anybody else has oppinion pls reply :) 
a b à CPUs
January 8, 2013 10:18:44 AM

Yes, that is exactly what I have.

And no, it will not void your warranty by having faster RAM.

The i5-2500k is multiplier unlocked and it's XMP mode supports 3733 MHz with 1600 MHz DDR3.

The only down side is that when the RAM is running at 1333 MHz the timings might not be as fast as they otherwise could be, sure they'll lower, but not as far as some of the better DDR3-1333 modules can.

January 8, 2013 10:49:57 AM

Scott_D_Bowen said:
Yes, that is exactly what I have.

And no, it will not void your warranty by having faster RAM.

The i5-2500k is multiplier unlocked and it's XMP mode supports 3733 MHz with 1600 MHz DDR3.

The only down side is that when the RAM is running at 1333 MHz the timings might not be as fast as they otherwise could be, sure they'll lower, but not as far as some of the better DDR3-1333 modules can.


So in bottom line its not that big setback ...coz i like the 2500k alot and i wasnt sure about the speed of the ram :) 
a c 139 à CPUs
January 8, 2013 5:15:24 PM

1600 cl9 1.5v usually costs the same as 1333 cl9 1.5v which is why most people get 1600. It really doesn't affect performance noticeably. Ram speed is separate from cpu speed so doesn't affect ocing for SB and IB.
a c 93 à CPUs
January 8, 2013 5:25:57 PM

Why in the world would you get the older 2500k when you get better efficiency, more features, and newer tech in the 3570k?

Speed isn't just about how large the numbers are - an i5-3570k at 4.4GHz is going to be on par with a 2500k at 4.8 GHz.
January 8, 2013 5:33:07 PM

DarkSable said:
Why in the world would you get the older 2500k when you get better efficiency, more features, and newer tech in the 3570k?

Speed isn't just about how large the numbers are - an i5-3570k at 4.4GHz is going to be on par with a 2500k at 4.8 GHz.



hmmm okay i`m considering the 3570k then i know its ivy bridge - the newer technology ... :)  i don`t know why i decided to get 2500k well then its 3570k but is it CM 212 evo good enough and for him since is more powerful
January 8, 2013 5:34:26 PM

On top of everything, difference between 1333 ram and 1600 isn't going to be noticeable by a human. Unless you don't do anything except take and compare benchmarks...

Also, stock cooling is good enough for stock speeds. Hyper212 is one of the best budget coolers, highly recommended throughout the internet. It'll do fine for overclocking either one. Besides, the TDP of the 3570 is actually lower than the 2500 I think, so it should actually run cooler.
a b à CPUs
January 8, 2013 5:34:53 PM

Yes
January 8, 2013 5:41:38 PM

pf :)  so u guys made me think about that :)  i was preffering 2500k coz i red somewhere that sandy bridge handle better oc than ivy bridge i5 cpus but and thats the only reason i chose 2500k infront of 3570k
January 8, 2013 5:43:15 PM

and now my question about the ram speed its irrelevant coz i was afraid about the specs that 2500k supports :)  (about the ram i mean)
a c 139 à CPUs
January 8, 2013 5:47:52 PM

The 3570k gets hotter which is why you won't oc as high. But it is newer so faster per ghz. Both the 2500k and 3570k will be similar performance oced on the same system.

Tdp is power usage, not the heat. More power typically means more heat but there are other factors.
January 8, 2013 8:23:53 PM

k1114 said:
The 3570k gets hotter which is why you won't oc as high. But it is newer so faster per ghz. Both the 2500k and 3570k will be similar performance oced on the same system.

Tdp is power usage, not the heat. More power typically means more heat but there are other factors.


Actually TDP is Total Dissipation of Power. That is heat. But not exactly how much heat the processor produces at all times. Actually it's a measure of how much heat the processor *could* dissipate. Ivy Bridge uses less power at peak load meaning it should never have to dissipate more heat than it's TDP (though this kinda goes out the window with OC'ing). At idle, the CPU might be using up 30% of the peak power consumption and therefore producing much less heat than it's able to dissipate. So in most conditions, Ivy Bridge should produce less heat since in most conditions it uses less power than Sandy Bridge, even though on a clock for clock basis, it is able to do more work.
a b à CPUs
January 8, 2013 8:53:26 PM

It's thermal design power BTW.
a c 139 à CPUs
January 8, 2013 9:03:23 PM

bliq00 said:
Actually TDP is Total Dissipation of Power. That is heat. But not exactly how much heat the processor produces at all times. Actually it's a measure of how much heat the processor *could* dissipate. Ivy Bridge uses less power at peak load meaning it should never have to dissipate more heat than it's TDP (though this kinda goes out the window with OC'ing). At idle, the CPU might be using up 30% of the peak power consumption and therefore producing much less heat than it's able to dissipate. So in most conditions, Ivy Bridge should produce less heat since in most conditions it uses less power than Sandy Bridge, even though on a clock for clock basis, it is able to do more work.


TDP actually stands for Thermal Design Power. And isn't necessarily an indication of either comparison to power or heat. The number can really only be compared to the similar family. The 77w 3570k gets hotter but uses less power than the 95w 2500k. Both cpus actually get around the same temps at stock.
January 9, 2013 2:22:55 AM

okay :)  ty very much guys for all your help ! I just wanna ask one last thing . How many wats of Psu i have to get ? Coz i`n my current old pc i have 350w fortron psu ... and i think this wont be enough for 3570k and 660 gtx ti ?
a b à CPUs
January 9, 2013 9:27:16 AM

No, I don't think so either. Go for a new 500W unit of good quality.
January 9, 2013 10:27:44 AM

so 500w is enough i was wondering is it going to be enough for this pc that i`m building and i was going for 650W Fortron RAIDER
a b à CPUs
January 9, 2013 10:48:51 AM

I'm not sure Fortron is a quality brand.
January 9, 2013 10:53:53 AM

what brad should i go then ? Cooler Master or Thermaltake ? or what ? :) 
a b à CPUs
January 9, 2013 11:06:03 AM

Antec, Corsair, Seasonic and XFX are great.
January 9, 2013 11:48:38 AM

is this one good enough Corsair Builder Series™ CX600 V3 600 w ? coz i know the 660 gtx ti oc has minimum req 450 w psu :)  thats why i`m considering more than 500 w or is it nececerry (i dont know how to spell that word) :) 
a b à CPUs
January 9, 2013 11:50:02 AM

Yes, it's enough. You could make do with a 450W PSU (of decent quality) then - 500W easily.
January 9, 2013 11:57:46 AM

ill get 600w i think :)  i`m in the mood more is better:D  but i`ll see coz i have to consider and my budget , the diff is not that big in price wise but anyway ty for your assistance
a c 139 à CPUs
January 9, 2013 5:01:20 PM

More is not always better. You want to stay around 50% for best efficiency. I'd be looking for a 450-500w. But it'll come down to cost. How about a cx500?

Fsp is decent but I'd take the corsair cx over it. They are classified in the same tier 3. The cx was better noise and ripple while the fsp was better efficiency.
January 9, 2013 5:12:52 PM

k1114 said:
More is not always better. You want to stay around 50% for best efficiency. I'd be looking for a 450-500w. But it'll come down to cost. How about a cx500?

Fsp is decent but I'd take the corsair cx over it. They are classified in the same tier 3. The cx was better noise and ripple while the fsp was better efficiency.


Well i was talking about Corsair aswell but i think if the minimum req for gtx 660 ti oc gigabyte is 450 w and the 3570k on board i think (this is my op) the 600w its better for oc and other stuff like that ? or is it not ?
a c 139 à CPUs
January 9, 2013 5:49:44 PM

No 450-500 is all you need, oc is already taken into consideration. A good 600w can do 2x660ti (the cx600v2 is 46 amps so is not good enough for 2).
January 9, 2013 6:03:21 PM

okay ill take the cx500 then :)  ty for that u explained it to me :)  i thought its not a bad idea to get cx600 coz the price diff is not big and i was thinking about the future if i need to change the psu
!