Thinking about a new build - sub $2000

ppriyank

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2009
EDIT: just read the sticky in regards to the format of help request.

Hey everyone...I'm planning on putting together a new build for personal use.

Approximate Purchase Date: withing a month.

Budget Range: $2000 Before Rebates

System Usage: Games, movies, songs, minor video editing, streaming, and surfing.

Buying a monitor: Not right now, but in near future. (currently using Samsung 7000 series smart-tv for gaming & movies), and regular samsung monitor for regular computer stuff.

Parts to Upgrade: CPU, MOBO, RAM.

Parts that will be re-used: PC Power and Cooling S75CF Silencer 750W PSU, Coolermaster HAF 932, WD6400AAKS WD Caviar 640 GB 7200 RPM, logitech k750 wireless keyboard, Xbox 360 remote controll, logitech performance MX wireless mouse, Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Champion Series Sound Card, Samsung 830 256gb SSD.

Do you need to buy OS: No (windows 7 premium, transfering the os from current setup to new samsung 830 256gb SSD which is on its way)

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Newegg, Microcenter, tigerdirect, amazon.

Parts Preferences: Intel i7 cpu.

Overclocking: Yes (with help)

SLI or Crossfire: Yes

Your Monitor Resolution: Samsung 19" monitor 1440x900, Samsung smart-tv 1920x1080 (but i think that's due to my radeon 4870 GPU limit)

And Most Importantly, Why Are You Upgrading: Last one lasted about 4 years, but now i think its time for a upgrade.

Current system: HAF 932 case
intel q9550 (E1)
Gigabyte EP45-UD3
8gb of ddr2 memory
raedon 4870 graphic card
650gb of HD
Creative Sound Blaster card.
COOLER MASTER Hyper Z600 RR-600-LBU1-GP CPU Cooler
SAMSUNG 22X DVD-RW Black IDE Model SH-S222A

To be honest, I dont really NEED a new computer as this is still fast enough for what im doing now, but just want the excitement of putting together a good rig for myself.

I was looking into the new Ivy bridge cpus, and x77 mobos, but from what i've read around here, the x79 from last year is a better option, not to mention i can expand out to 64gb of ram (in future ofcourse).

Can somebody recommend me a really good MOBO, and i'm leaning towards i7 processor (not ivy since i'm leaning towards x79 chipset), video card (want to explore either sli or crossfire, since i've never done it), really nice looking case which is good for air cooling (i know HAFs are great, but it does not have dust filter, and my computer collects soo much dust, i'm annoyed of cleaning it, and after 4 years, i'm tired of looking at the same computer haha). gonna start out with 16gb of ram for now (8gb x 2) so in future i can keep purchasing 8gb sticks to max out at 64.

If it saves money, then i dont mind using my current CASE, i'd rather spend the money on video card or a really good mobo. Pretty much i want this computer to outlast my needs for next 5-6 years.

Thank you in advance!

Solution
the i7 has zero performance gain in games and it might even be worse than the i5 since games like powerful threads rather than many threads.

if you do video editing or you are going to upgrade the rig in about 5+ years, then id see the point of the i7

TheLittleTroll

Honorable
Aug 21, 2012
you dont need x79 unless you are doing some 3-4way SLI configs or you are doing some workstation tasks. otherwise z77 fits you fine

you can probably keep the case. dust always collects in rigs even if you have filters

ppriyank

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2009
thank you for the reply...so in regards to the z77 motherboard, which one would you suggest...i just built a rig for my father in law for around $750 and i put in I5 3570k cpu, and a gigabyte Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD3H motherboard. but that was for a budgeted rig, i'm wanting something bigger in terms of oc capacity and durability (i do love the gigabytes motherboards from previous encounters and oc ability). For this build though, i'm open to the best motherboard i can get.

TheLittleTroll

Honorable
Aug 21, 2012

you are still going to use a i5 3570k. you can upgrade the motherboard to a gigabyte z77x-ud5h or a asus z77-v PRO depending what features you want. the asus is superior in the software department. if you are looking for the best, get the maximus v formula but i really dont recommend it since there isnt too much of a advantage over the pro board

ppriyank

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2009

Wouldn't putting in i7 3770k be a better option? I live near a microcenter store, and they have the 3770k on sale for $289.99 + $50 off of z77 mobo combo when purchased together...so i can get the asus p8z77-v pro and 3770k for $479.98 (i5 would be $100 cheaper).

Is the benefit of 3770k not worth the extra $100?

TheLittleTroll

Honorable
Aug 21, 2012
the i7 has zero performance gain in games and it might even be worse than the i5 since games like powerful threads rather than many threads.

if you do video editing or you are going to upgrade the rig in about 5+ years, then id see the point of the i7

Solution