Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Help with Cases

Last response: in Components
Share
January 8, 2013 10:28:16 AM

I'm a hardcore lurker here but I haven't posted yet. I come to you in my time of need xD. I'm working on a new build and have decided on everything except the case. My main concerns are cooling and cable management. Eventually I will liquid cool, for now I need good aircooling (processor is already liquidcooled). With that in mind, I also want something that looks good(window is a plus). I'm currently looking at ATX full cases... Not even sure if that's what I need, but would like the extra room.

Build specs:
I7 3770K cooled by a H60
Asus P8Z77-V Pro
Corsair Vengeance 16GB
(2) GTX 550 TI SLI.. I know they're not popular here but they fit my needs andr I got them for free
1 Solid State Drive
2 2TB Drives
CD/Bluray Drive

I will be overclocking.

I currently have an Antec 300 case with different hardware inside and it feels cramped. Someone help a brotha out. Cost isn't a concern.

More about : cases

a b ) Power supply
January 8, 2013 10:51:09 AM

-i7s are not for gaming but if you are doing some good work, then id get it
-h60 sucks like hell. a hyper 212 evo is cheaper and quieter
-v-pro is pretty overkill for most people given most people cant use all the ports
-if they are free, good. if not, a 7850 can smoosh the 550tis

a antec 300 is perfectly fine. if you want something bigger, a corsair 30R for 59.99 after a MIR is a good deal
January 8, 2013 11:07:26 AM

Look on EATX cabinet because mobo is EATX.
Related resources
a b ) Power supply
January 8, 2013 11:12:32 AM

the motherboard isnt eatx.
a b ) Power supply
January 8, 2013 11:23:39 AM

Corsair Obsidian 650 is a great case with a lot of room in it. It's not too small nor too big, it's the ideal size if you want a lot of room. It's a MIDI Tower. The Obsidian big tower, 800, will just be too big for you I believe.

http://www.hardwareheaven.com/reviews/1168/pg7/corsair-...

Take a look at this review. :) 
a b ) Power supply
January 8, 2013 11:24:07 AM

hytecgowthaman said:
Look on EATX cabinet because mobo is EATX.


Bollox. The P8Z77v-pro is standard ATX.


OP, Have a look at the Corsair 500R, I'm very happy with mine. It's a large mid-tower, I have a v-pro with single 7870 in there and it's plenty roomy, also space for w/c radiator up top.
a b ) Power supply
January 8, 2013 11:25:54 AM

lostgamer_03 said:
Corsair Obsidian 650 is a great case with a lot of room in it. It's not too small nor too big, it's the ideal size if you want a lot of room. It's a MIDI Tower. The Obsidian big tower, 800, will just be too big for you I believe.

http://www.hardwareheaven.com/reviews/1168/pg7/corsair-...

Take a look at this review. :) 


my friend personally has a 650D and hates it. it runs hot and is loud enough to hear across the room
January 8, 2013 11:40:02 AM

confuciused said:
Bollox. The P8Z77v-pro is standard ATX.


OP, Have a look at the Corsair 500R, I'm very happy with mine. It's a large mid-tower, I have a v-pro with single 7870 in there and it's plenty roomy, also space for w/c radiator up top.

Thanks! How's the cable management?
a b ) Power supply
January 8, 2013 11:42:22 AM

TheBigTroll said:
my friend personally has a 650D and hates it. it runs hot and is loud enough to hear across the room


If you look at the statistics instead of your friend's opinion, then it's another story.

January 8, 2013 11:44:10 AM

I have a fractal R3 and love it, suprisingly cool for a 'quiet' case too. I think the updated version (R4) has an option to fit a radiator at the front too
a b ) Power supply
January 8, 2013 11:48:29 AM

newbkakes said:
Thanks! How's the cable management?


Excellent.

It has a large convex back panel which allows loads of space behind the mobo panel. There's honestly no need for a modular PSU with this case, mine is non-modular and I had no trouble getting it all tidy first time.
a b ) Power supply
January 8, 2013 11:49:35 AM

confuciused said:
Bollox. The P8Z77v-pro is standard ATX.


OP, Have a look at the Corsair 500R, I'm very happy with mine. It's a large mid-tower, I have a v-pro with single 7870 in there and it's plenty roomy, also space for w/c radiator up top.


The Obsidian 650 has that aswell.

The 500R has some of the best value I've ever seen. You really get some great cooling!

BUT, the 500r is lacking behind with the dustfilters. Dust will easily fill up the case because of the big grill on the side. Which is a big turnoff for me, dust in the coolers and hardware equals heat, heat equals worse performance and might end up with some fried hardware, if you don't go clean it regurlarly.

It's much easier with dust filters, this way you won't be in need of cleaning the PC, only the dustfilters.
a b ) Power supply
January 8, 2013 12:01:49 PM

lostgamer_03 said:
The Obsidian 650 has that aswell.

The 500R has some of the best value I've ever seen. You really get some great cooling!

BUT, the 500r is lacking behind with the dustfilters. Dust will easily fill up the case because of the big grill on the side. Which is a big turnoff for me, dust in the coolers and hardware equals heat, heat equals worse performance and might end up with some fried hardware, if you don't go clean it regurlarly.

It's much easier with dust filters, this way you won't be in need of cleaning the PC, only the dustfilters.



^^This is a very valid point that I should have mentioned sorry. Dust can be an issue with this case.

It's not too hard to add filters.

I keep on top of it with a regular clean as I'm usually opening it up for something atleast once every couple of months anyway.

a b ) Power supply
January 8, 2013 12:34:20 PM

the R4 has the best cabling of all of them. has more than 1 inch of space for cables.

i dont like the 650D as well. its dam expensive for what it offers. the R4 is way better. it wont fit a top radiator, but why would install fisher price watercooling anyways?
!