How to know my cpu/gpu is bottleneck or not

bhnmunjal

Honorable
Jun 11, 2012
Hello,
my pc configuration is mentioned below -
Motherboard - Mercury PI945GZD (Having PCI E 1.0a slot)
Processor - Intel core two duo 1.80 GHD

RAM - 2GB + 2GB = 4GB (DDR2)

Graphic card - Sapphire Radeon HD 7750, 1 GB, DDR5

I am able to play Driver Sanfransisco PC game on 1400*900 resolution in High/Medium and low setting.

Then how i know my GPU/CPU is bottlenec or not? And If Bottleneck then CPU is bottlenecking the GPU or vise versa

Pizzaa

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2012
I'm going to give this a wild guess and say your CPU is doing the bottlenecking. By a general rule, you sould aim for at least 2.5 ghz of processor speed to run any kind of game, otherwise run the risk of bottlenecking even some weaker cards.

bhnmunjal

Honorable
Jun 11, 2012

thank for reply and i want to know
as u say 2.5 GHD but as my cpu is core two duo it will be 1.80 + 1.80 = 3.60GHD

Pizzaa

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2012
Not exactly. Both cores are running at that speed, but the speed doesn't quite add like that. If it did, the i7 2600k would blow the i5 2500k out of the water. As it is, the i5 (with only 4 cores) does just as well, and better in some cases, than the i7 with 2x the cores. The number of cores will allow it to handle multiple processes better, but beyond 4 or so there is not much added benefit to gaming. Hyperthreading is a whole other animal, but that's for a different thread to discuss, as I don't know much about how that works myself.

bhnmunjal

Honorable
Jun 11, 2012
Thanks a lot for reply,
If i under clock my gpu will it increase the performance of CPU.

Which Intel core two duo Processor is best for my Mercury PI945GZD motherboard.

This is a bit off topic, but like most people on the internet, I have an overwhelming urge to correct people >.<. Sorry.

The 2600k only has four cores just like the 2500k. The 2600k has hyperthreading, which allows each core to process two threads. Hyperthreading makes each core show up as two to operating systems.

At stock speeds the 2600k performs marginally better in games than the 2500k, but only because it's stock speed it 100 mhz faster than the 2500k. A 2500k overclocked 100mhz performs exactly the same in games as a stock 2600k.

Core 2's are pretty overpriced anywhere you can find then (the quad's are ridiculous). The best duo before you get into stupid prices would be the 7600. That will run $70+ used on ebay.

What is your budget? If you can muster $100, it would be worthwhile to replace your entire platform.

Temile

Honorable
Jun 7, 2012
Underclocking your GPU will not improve the performance of your CPU. There are a couple of common CPU bottlenecks: in one case, the CPU is not feeding textures to the GPU fast enough, so the GPU does not have enough work to do; in another case the game logic running on the CPU is taking too long and the game is throttling how much work it sends to the GPU. In either case, the GPU just idles. Slowing down the GPU intentionally willl in the best case have no effect and in the worst case make things worse when the game or CPU do manage to get enough work to it. Think of it as a production line with the CPU coming first and the GPU second. Slowing down the second part of the production line will not help the first part work faster.

goodguy713

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2009
i think more so the issue would be the pci 1.0a bus .. while it might work its not nearly as fast as pci 2.0 or 3.0 but your system will still run way better with that graphics card vs intergraded graphics

A single pci 1.0 slot is half as fast as a 2.0 slot (the equivalent of an 8x pci-2.0 slot). That is fast enough for nearly any graphics card in existence.

Run Afterburner and check your GPU usage. If you are running at 99% GPU usage in that particular game, then you have no bottleneck. If you are running at less than 99% GPU usage, particularly if its closer to 50% or less in that particular game, then you have a CPU bottleneck.