Sign in with
Your question
Solved

2560x1600 DVI-IvyB. Fancy solution?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
July 6, 2012 4:56:41 AM

Hi,

Kind of a newbie on the subject here and I'm struggling with a problem, hope the community can help me.

Just bought an used 30'' monitor (HP LP3065) with native resolution of 2560x1600 and a 2 20''s (hp zr2040w) with resolution of 1600x900.

The thing is that I read that Ivy bridge should support 3 monitors natively, so I bought an i5 3570k and when choosing the motherboard I noticed that they don't support 2560x1600 with dvi, and my 30'' monitor just have dvi input.

So, I need to connect my 3 monitors at their native resolutions and practicaly just have bought the CPU (3570k).

My question here is, is there a motherboard that will do the job without a graphics card?
or what motherboard/graphics should I choose?

Budget:
Doesn't really matter but what i don't want is to buy an expensive graphics or adaptors that i won't need, mostly asking for a fancy solution here.

Needs:
Won't do any gaming at all, is for playing poker ;) 

Thanks in advance
a c 91 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
July 6, 2012 5:23:17 AM

reading through this page should help you:
http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2244415

reading through, it seems that to support 3 monitors, at least two needs to be display port. that means 2 active adapters (~$60)... keep in mind you would also need a dual-link DVI port on the motherboard (kinda rare) tu support your fancy resolution
m
l
July 6, 2012 5:34:14 AM

Thanks, actually the 20''s have displayport, dvi and vga. The problem is the dvi-d that no motherboard seems to have and is what I need for the 2560x1600.
m
l
Related resources
a c 91 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
July 6, 2012 6:15:37 AM

ok, in that case get an active displayport to DVI-D adapter for your big monitor, and I"m sure you can figure out the 20"s

the issue is, to the best of my knowledge (and just tried google searching with no luck), the only DVI-D to display port adapter is the apple one. and that one goes to displayport-mini, so you'll need another adapter on top of it...
m
l

Best solution

a b U Graphics card
July 6, 2012 10:08:55 AM

I suspect there are no motherboards with DVI-D -- the IvyB builtin graphics really isn't expected to handle 2560x1600 resolution and most everything else doesn't use DVI-D. You can get a relatively cheap, good graphics board with DVI-D and displayport output for perhaps no more than it will cost to buy a good displayport to DVI adapter, and you'll get *much* better graphics on 3 monitors than you will with IvyB. Perhaps even noticeable playing poker. For example:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
July 13, 2012 12:06:11 AM

Best answer selected by jasb1.
m
l
July 13, 2012 12:07:19 AM

Temile said:
I suspect there are no motherboards with DVI-D -- the IvyB builtin graphics really isn't expected to handle 2560x1600 resolution and most everything else doesn't use DVI-D. You can get a relatively cheap, good graphics board with DVI-D and displayport output for perhaps no more than it will cost to buy a good displayport to DVI adapter, and you'll get *much* better graphics on 3 monitors than you will with IvyB. Perhaps even noticeable playing poker. For example:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

I went with this solution, haven't actually tried it but already ordered the card, will update when it's working.

Thanks.
m
l
a c 217 U Graphics card
a c 133 C Monitor
July 13, 2012 12:15:38 AM

To be clear, you need dual-link DVI-D, not just any DVI-D connection, to get that resolution.
m
l
!