How will switching to a larger display affect my gpu?

Regimonk

Honorable
May 10, 2012
Sorry if this is the wrong area, wasn't exactly sure which sub-category to use.

So I'm currently using an i5-3570k and a 560ti 1gb with a 23" monitor(primary) that I use for gaming and a 22" monitor I use for surfing the web and watching movies; both are 1920x1080. I have a 32" 720p hdtv in the other room that I was thinking about switching the 22" monitor out for. And I will be getting a 32" 1080p hdtv within the next couple weeks. Gaming>Browsing>Movies is my priorities, mostly World of Warcraft, Diablo3 and the occasional Call of Duty or BF3. I watch some movies/video in 1080, some in whatever format they're in...doesn't usually matter to me.

I know people run into issues when their primary computer display is too big and they sit close to it and my questions are:

Would the new 32"1080 hdtv make a good primary display assuming there are a few feet in between me and where it will be?

Assuming the 32" 1080p hdtv will be the primary display, would I want to use the 23" monitor for browsing/movies or the 32" 720p hdtv?

Now if the 32" 1080p hdtv is not going to be a good primary display, the 23" monitor would be better than the 32" 720p hdtv as far as quality, correct?

Sorry if this is confusing, its hard to frame my question... Assuming I have all four displays and room/distance isn't an issue, which combo would you guys recommend? Other than the cables/adapters, I don't need any other parts right? I'm a little fuzzy on how gpu's work with bigger displays but as long as the display resolution is 1080, my gpu will work on larger displays without harming the gpu?

Please let me know if I need to clarify anything.

fantastik250

Distinguished
The only thing that will affect it is the resolution (1920x1080 or higher). It doesn't not matter how much bigger the screen is. So to put it in another way, if you used 1920x1080 on one monitor and decide to use another monitor that has 1920x1080 but bigger in size, the performance will be the same.

If you use a lower resolution such as 1366x768 the performance will be stronger.

Put it this way. The higher the resolution, the harder the GPU works.

Take a Honda Civic for example. It makes 140hp from a 1.8 liter. The motor works fine in the Civic, because the car is nice and light.

Suppose you take that motor out and put it onto a motorcycle. A motorcycle is lighter than the car, and will run much faster with the bigger motor, while using less gas.

And if you take that motor and put it into a Chevy Suburban. A Suburban weighs much more than the Civic, and with the Civic motor, the motor has to work much much harder to move the car.

The motor is the GPU, and the car is the resolution. As the resolution increases, the work that the GPU has to do increases. As the resolution decreases, the work that the GPU has to do decreases.

Regimonk

Honorable
May 10, 2012
Thanks for the quick reply. Probably a dumb question but I can hook up a 3rd monitor?.
The gpu is: http://www.msi.com/product/vga/N560GTX-Ti-M2D1GD5-OC.html#?div=Overview
The mobo is: http://www.asrock.com/mb/overview.asp?Model=Z77%20Extreme4

Also, refresh rates. I was toying with idea of using a larger display(~42", or close to it) that is 120 as my movie display. Room space and cable length aren't an issue and it would be very convenient if I could watch some of the higher quality videos on my computer on the better quality tv. It's not crucial, but it would be helpful.

Regimonk

Honorable
May 10, 2012
Thank you Deemo. I was more trying to see whether actual screen size mattered. Like a 23" 1080 vs a 32" 1080. Same resolution, different sizes. I think I have a grasp on it now.

fantastik250

Distinguished

With Nvidia, your unable to do that. Once you put the Video card into the PCI-E slot, it will take over as the primary video. The onboard graphics will have to be disabled.

Only if you use separate video cards will it work. But not an onboard and discrete GPU.

Only AMD is able to do that with certain mobo and GPU combinations.