Assign function key for time date stamp 4 Wordpad, and out..

I've googled all day and found nothing for my simple mind...I would like to
assign say function key f11 to insert a date time stamp e.g. the following

"Tuesday June 28, 2005, 4:08pm" while useing wordpad and outlook express...I
know f5 does an excellent job in notepad.

Thats all I request...jay
--
Thanks, jayindy
5 answers Last reply

    Wordpad doesn't have any one key to do this.

    This will get the Date and Time Dialog box...

    Alt key + I key then D key

    From Wordpad HELP...

    To insert the current date and time
    1. Click where you want the date and time to appear.
    2. On the Insert menu, click Date and Time.
    3. Double-click the format you want.

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:613FB73A-4253-4F78-A213-AAA90225E47E@microsoft.com,
    jayindy <jayindy@insightbb.com> hunted and pecked:

    On Tue, 28 Jun 2005 14:13:03 -0700, jayindy wrote:

    > I've googled all day and found nothing for my simple mind...I would like to
    > assign say function key f11 to insert a date time stamp e.g. the following
    >
    > "Tuesday June 28, 2005, 4:08pm" while useing wordpad and outlook express...I
    > know f5 does an excellent job in notepad.
    >
    > Thats all I request...jay

    ShortKeys or another similar program will do this for you. For ShortKeys,
    there is a free version (limited in the number of 'shortkeys' supported)
    and a shareware version.

    http://www.shortkeys.com

    --
    Sharon F
    MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

    Put these two line in a text document

    set WshShell = WScript.CreateObject("WScript.Shell")
    WshShell.SendKeys FormatDateTime(Now(),vbLongDate)

    Name it something.vbs and create a shortcut to it. The Shortcutr must be on Start or the desktop. R/c then properties of the shortcut and assign a key in the Shortcut Key field.
    "jayindy" <jayindy@insightbb.com> wrote in message news:613FB73A-4253-4F78-A213-AAA90225E47E@microsoft.com...
    > I've googled all day and found nothing for my simple mind...I would like to
    > assign say function key f11 to insert a date time stamp e.g. the following
    >
    > "Tuesday June 28, 2005, 4:08pm" while useing wordpad and outlook express...I
    > know f5 does an excellent job in notepad.
    >
    > Thats all I request...jay
    > --
    > Thanks, jayindy

    ok David C...seems to work, however it takes it about 13 secs before it
    executes....
    sample of your script..."Thursday, June 30, 2005"

    I like your script idea much better (less overhead, no loading additional
    software) than the free "lite" software I got from www.shortkeys.com (thanks
    Sharon F)

    Thursday 6/30/05 09:48 am (sample of my tilde key assignment with the
    www.shortkeys.com lite software, I want time as well)

    At least now I can time/date stamp like crazy in my simple "note" file of
    personal stuff.

    I've been intrigued by the VB scripting idea however...will pursue.

    Thanks, jay

    On Thu, 30 Jun 2005 08:07:02 -0700, jayindy wrote:

    > ok David C...seems to work, however it takes it about 13 secs before it
    > executes....
    > sample of your script..."Thursday, June 30, 2005"
    >
    > I like your script idea much better (less overhead, no loading additional
    > software) than the free "lite" software I got from www.shortkeys.com (thanks
    > Sharon F)
    >
    > Thursday 6/30/05 09:48 am (sample of my tilde key assignment with the
    > www.shortkeys.com lite software, I want time as well)
    >
    > At least now I can time/date stamp like crazy in my simple "note" file of
    > personal stuff.
    >
    > I've been intrigued by the VB scripting idea however...will pursue.
    >
    > Thanks, jay
    >
    > "David Candy" wrote:
    >
    >> Put these two line in a text document
    >>
    >> set WshShell = WScript.CreateObject("WScript.Shell")
    >> WshShell.SendKeys FormatDateTime(Now(),vbLongDate)
    >>
    >> Name it something.vbs and create a shortcut to it. The Shortcutr must be on Start or the desktop. R/c then properties of the shortcut and assign a key in the Shortcut Key field.
    >> --
    >> http://webdiary.smh.com.au/archives/_comment/001075.html
    >> "jayindy" <jayindy@insightbb.com> wrote in message news:613FB73A-4253-4F78-A213-AAA90225E47E@microsoft.com...
    >>> I've googled all day and found nothing for my simple mind...I would like to
    >>> assign say function key f11 to insert a date time stamp e.g. the following
    >>>
    >>> "Tuesday June 28, 2005, 4:08pm" while useing wordpad and outlook express...I
    >>> know f5 does an excellent job in notepad.
    >>>
    >>> Thats all I request...jay
    >>> --
    >>> Thanks, jayindy

    You're welcome, Jay. I don't have the problem with shortkeys that you
    mention but I have the paid version. At the very least the free shortkeys
    will hold you over while you perfect your scripts. Good luck with them!

    --
    Sharon F
    MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

Configuration Outlook Express Microsoft Customization Windows XP