Which Power Supply for this build?

MexicanBandit

Honorable
Aug 29, 2012
Hey, I'm putting together a build but I am not too sure which Power Supply would be best suited for the system. From some research, I would have guessed around 600-700w but my knowledge in this area is very low.

CPU - Intel i5 3570k
Cooler - Stock
Motherboard - AsRock Z77 Extreme4
Graphics Card - Sapphire HD 7870 GHz Edition 2048MB
Memory - Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz 8GB
HDD - Samsung 5400rpm 1TB HDD
Case - NXZT Phantom 410

Thanks in advance!

In my builds I have always gone with the Corsair AX series, due to their rock solid stability, high quality build, and fully modular design. (You only use the cables you need)

I personally would go with this one, although 750W is a bit more than you need, it leaves a bit of headroom in there, in case you ever want to add another GPU in xFire.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139016&Tpk=AX750

If you want to go a little cheaper, I would suggest something like this.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139020

I would strongly suggest staying away from the cheap PSU's as that is an excellent way to screw up your entire system :) PSU's are one thing I definitely don't go cheap on.

If you're thinking about a second card, then yes 600-700 would be good
With the single card a 500-550w will do fine
Why a 5400 RPM HD ?

rodney_ws

Splendid
Dec 29, 2005

My current two builds have Corsair HX series power (650 & 750) supplies and both have worked as expected. However, I feel I have to say this... I have recently had a positively rotten experience with Corsair. Actually, my experience is a multi-level affair. For starters, the company Corsair chose to handle their rebates declined two separate rebates. I've never had a problem with rebates before so I assume that they're just randomly rejecting claims. Had I known I wasn't going to get the $35, my purchasing decision likely would have been different. That's minor compared my next gripe. My Corsair case (a gorgeous 550D) arrived with a broken side panel. I submitted an RMA the day it arrived and here it is 3 weeks later with no replacement part. Previously I was able to view the status of my RMA and see that they received my damaged parts. Currently I'm unable to view details for my RMA and I assume it has been cancelled/deleted. I still believe Corsair makes some fine, fine products, but my experiences with the company means I won't be buying from them again.

Btw, your build looks a lot like my current system... except I went with that big Noctua cooler and SSDs.

c4p741n

Honorable
Dec 31, 2012
http://www.thermaltake.outervision.com/

use this calculator to help you figure out how much power you need and go from there

MexicanBandit

Honorable
Aug 29, 2012
Sorry for the late reply, I've ended up going with the Corsair CX750 as it was on offer at my local computer shop. Thanks for all of the replies though, much appreciated :)

TRENDING THREADS