New builder looking for advice.

mark1987

Honorable
Aug 24, 2012
Approximate Purchase Date: Most likely this week, feedback depending

Budget Range: $1500-$1700 (total cost, only some core pieces are listed here)

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming, media, video editing

Parts Not Required: keyboard, mouse, speakers, optical (old one for now) let me know what else I may be missing, Temporarily going without a dedicated gpu

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: newegg.ca (Canadian)

Parts Preferences: I like intel so whatever works well
Overclocking: Eventually, not right away

SLI: Most likely, budget depending

Monitor Resolution: Might use my hdtv or my old lcd flatscreen, undecided

Additional Comments: I'm selecting core components for now to get it running and will be upgrading the optional ones (optical, GPU(s), fans) over the next few months. Just looking for some feedback/advice. I'm a very beginner builder so before i order anything im hoping to confirm that im not making any titanic like decisions (is my psu big enough to take on future cards? will my selected hardware line up and work well?) Any advice and or criticism is welcome and appreciated.

My current newegg list: 17665151

mark1987

Honorable
Aug 24, 2012
Sorry i deleted my first post and missed that part

I didn't include a gpu in this list because of budget constraints. I want to get the core system running and in a month or 2 come back and round it off.

Its currently sitting about $1060 after rebaits ($935 if I opt for the i5) I don't think i really want to go too much higher as it sits, like I said I will be upgrading over the next few months I just want a solid set of core components.

locomoco321

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2012
One problem with buying parts that aren't that good with the intention to upgrade later is that some parts will not be good. For example, buying a 320GB HDD intending to get a 1TB HDD. You will have a 320GB HDD useless and if you opt for RAID 0, the total storage capacity will only be 640GB. Just make sure the parts you plan to upgrade are not very expensive but only to get by.

Parts that I would buy high quality to start (no intention of upgrading):
-Motherboard
-CPU
-PSU
-HDD/SDD
-Peripherals

Other upgradable parts
-RAM
-Video Card
-CPU Heatsink

It sounds like you have this covered though, if you need any help, feel free to ask :)