Sign in with
Your question

Quiet PSU for rig w/ Gigabyte HD7770

Last response: in Components
January 8, 2013 2:04:44 PM

Hey guys,

I have recently been looking for a quiet PSU for my rig.

CPU: i5-3570K
Mobo: Asrock Extreme 4
GFC: 1GB 7770 Gigabyte OC
CPU Fan: Coolermaster Universal Hyper 212 EVO
RAM: 8G Kit 1600 Patriot Gamer2
Case: Corsair Carbide CC500R Black

After many hours of research, I have come down to an affordable PSU;

Seasonic S12II - 620W - $118.00
http://www.cplonline.com.au/power-supply/seasonic-s12ii...

I am looking to confirm with anyone who has this Seasonic PSU that it is indeed very quiet as I definitely require a really quiet rig - Close to no noise when sitting next to it.

Was also wondering if I should just go for a PSU with 700W to ensure that it is always under load to ensure no fan noise unless gaming (WoW, Diablo 3, Starcraft 2, Counter Strike:GO, Dota 2).

Please do suggest any other quiet PSU that you had too. Willing to look into it as long as it is sold here in Australia.

Thank you for your time.

Framps
January 8, 2013 2:54:47 PM

if u want to upgrade anything in the future or sli/crossfire cards than go with a 600w if not 500w will be more than enough
m
l
Related resources
a c 1202 ) Power supply
January 8, 2013 5:41:12 PM

For a system using a single Radeon HD 7770 GHz Edition graphics card AMD specifies a minimum of a 500 Watt or greater power supply. The power supply should also have a maximum combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 23 Amps or greater and have at least one 6-pin PCI Express supplementary power connector.

Total Power Supply Wattage is NOT the crucial factor in power supply selection!!! Total Combined Continuous Power/Current Available on the +12V Rail(s) rated @ 45°C - 50°C ambient temperature, is the most important factor.

Overclocking of the CPU and/or GPU(s) will require an additional increase to the maximum combined +12 Volt continuous current ratings, recommended above, to meet the increase in power required for the overclock. The additional amount required will depend on the magnitude of the overclock you are trying to achieve.

The FSP Aurum Xilenser 400W Fanless Power Supply (AU-400FL), with its maximum combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 33 Amps and with two (6+2)-pin PCI Express supplementary power connectors, is more than sufficient to power your system configuration with a single Radeon HD 7770 GHz Edition graphics card.
http://www.mwave.com.au/product/sku-aa49436-fsp_aurum_x...
m
l
January 8, 2013 11:03:50 PM

Ramzzz2936 said:
if u want to upgrade anything in the future or sli/crossfire cards than go with a 600w if not 500w will be more than enough

Hey, thanks for the reply. Yeah, am definitely looking for more watts for future proof.

rene13cross said:
See if you are able to get the Kingwin Stryker 500W Fanless shipped to Australia:
http://www.amazon.com/KingWin-Stryker-500-Watt-Fanless-...

It has amazing efficiency (remains at 80+ Gold even when "overpowered" to 600W) and makes zero noise due to no fan. But it is a bit costlier...

Hey, thanks for the reply. Will definitely put this as a last resort as it would be hard to claim warranty if anything.

ko888 said:
For a system using a single Radeon HD 7770 GHz Edition graphics card AMD specifies a minimum of a 500 Watt or greater power supply. The power supply should also have a maximum combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 23 Amps or greater and have at least one 6-pin PCI Express supplementary power connector.

Total Power Supply Wattage is NOT the crucial factor in power supply selection!!! Total Combined Continuous Power/Current Available on the +12V Rail(s) rated @ 45°C - 50°C ambient temperature, is the most important factor.

Overclocking of the CPU and/or GPU(s) will require an additional increase to the maximum combined +12 Volt continuous current ratings, recommended above, to meet the increase in power required for the overclock. The additional amount required will depend on the magnitude of the overclock you are trying to achieve.

The FSP Aurum Xilenser 400W Fanless Power Supply (AU-400FL), with its maximum combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 33 Amps and with two (6+2)-pin PCI Express supplementary power connectors, is more than sufficient to power your system configuration with a single Radeon HD 7770 GHz Edition graphics card.
http://www.mwave.com.au/product/sku-aa49436-fsp_aurum_x...

Hey, thanks for the reply. Never heard of FSP before but will look into them now.

Thanks for all the suggestions.
m
l
!