Is Magnetic Screw driver a no-no? and Test Booting w/o CPU Cooler?

sherlockwing

Honorable
Aug 7, 2012
Hi, I am going to build my computer(item list is already set) sometime next week and have been wondering 2 things:

1. Is using a Magnetic tipped Screw Driver bad?(i.e it could cause damage to computer components.)

2.Can I do the Test Boot(Booting with just CPU-mobo-GPU-Ram-PSU-Monitor) on the Mobo box without a CPU cooler?(turn-on then immediately shutoff after seeing the POST on screen). I am using a large aftermarket cooler and don't want to install the stock cooler then take it off(I have read a few people damaged their mobo while trying to remove the stock cooler).

Other than those all build tips for me would be appreciated since this is my first try.
(I already got a Anti-Static wristband so you don't have to mention this).

1. I would just pick a different screw driver, it is easier than risking it. I don't think anyone has checked to confirm if it will or wont damage it, but im sure you can find another one that isn't magnetic.

2. NEVER run a system without a CPU cooler, you aren't going to get to the POST screen, ideally it should immediately sense the lack of a CPU fan and abort boot, if you get to a point where you can see something on the screen your CPU is likely extremely hot and damaging itself. Just wait until the cooler arrives or you risk damaging things.

sherlockwing

Honorable
Aug 7, 2012

OK, I will drop the Test Boot idea. Installing the Cooler and test the system on the Motherboard Box is a Can't do with my 1.24kg Phantek PH-TC14PE.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
I've used a mgnetic tipped screwdriver for every build I've done. They are extrememly weak magnetic fields and pose no issues.

As mentioned above, forget the no-cooler test.

If you are getting a Intel pushpin type cooler, be sure the cooler's feet are flush against the motherboard when you seat the pins. If they open the posts before the feet are flat against the board, you will not have the cooler's heat sync tight against the CPU's heat spreader. The bad surface contact will result in poor heat transfer. That's a common installation error.

sherlockwing

Honorable
Aug 7, 2012

Yeah I am not using my stock cooler, I am going to install a PH-TC14PE Twin Tower CPU Air Cooler since I will be doing some serious OC with this machine.