Sign in with
Your question

Architectural rendering

Last response: in CPUs
January 8, 2013 2:52:26 PM

Hello,
how good is the amd a6 3400m for architectural rendering?
also rendering speed depends on ram or core frequency majorly?
a b à CPUs
January 8, 2013 3:36:31 PM

To be honest it isn't very good for that at all.

It will definitely work, but that CPU is not designed for rendering. It is designed for word processing, internet, and watching movies.

Rendering depends heavily on both CPU speed, CPU cores, RAM speed, and HDD speed. An example of a CPU designed for rendering is the Xeon E5-2687W
January 8, 2013 4:23:22 PM

It depends a lot on the particular program you are using to do the rendering. Different programs use different technologies to arrive at their solution. For instance, some rendering programs rely solely on the CPU so more and faster cores are better. Other programs offload the rendering to the graphics card so the CPU is not as much of an issue. It helps to know the exact programs you are using in order to make specific recommendations.

On the issue of RAM, modern rendering programs are designed to make pretty efficient use of available RAM and is not as big an issue as you would think.
Related resources
January 8, 2013 7:50:27 PM

well ive tried some rendering works on simple softwares like sketchup using vray and supodium and also on revit architecture....vray worked pretty cool n fast while i wuznt much impressed with revits render speed...so do u suggest i add on a lil more ram to it (existing is 6gb) or i try overclockin stuff?
January 8, 2013 10:35:56 PM

ahmed856 said:
well ive tried some rendering works on simple softwares like sketchup using vray and supodium and also on revit architecture....vray worked pretty cool n fast while i wuznt much impressed with revits render speed...so do u suggest i add on a lil more ram to it (existing is 6gb) or i try overclockin stuff?

I believe that rendering in Revit is primarily a function of the CPU so overclocking should help some. Unless you are actually running out of RAM during a render, adding more will not do much to speed the render time.
a b à CPUs
January 9, 2013 1:32:30 PM

I may be going out on a limb here...

But isn't the A6-3400M a mobile processor?

Doesn't that point to this machine being a notebook of some sort?

If that is the case all references to overclocking are pretty much moot...
January 9, 2013 2:33:00 PM

yes its a toshiba notebook....6gb ram....1.5 gb dedicated graphics...quad core (1.4-2.3ghz) ..works smoothly so far...jus had a doubt based on rendering since this will be the task i wuld be doin frequently...since i heard tht this processor has better gpu performance as compared to i5 which is of the same price..i decided to take this one since i thought rendering wuld require higher gpu...
!