Sporadic Graphics Card Behaviour (GeForce 210 - 1GB - GDDR3)

Hello,

I was looking to set up my slightly-aging Windows PC as a dedicated *somewhat* graphics-intensive server, I figured that the GeForce 210 would suffice for my needs, or at least offer better performance than running Windows 7 via VMWare Fusion. So, I went out and purchased a Zotac GeForce 210 (Synergy-edition) (Official site: http://goo.gl/nwV1w), the only problem was that after installing it in the computer, it refused to boot (no POST, the monitor remained in sleep-mode). It should be noted that the VGA cord was properly connected to the graphics card, and that my BIOS were configured to use the card in the PCI-E slot, rather than the awful on-board one.

Oddly, after trying to boot a few times, it worked, and I could log-in to Windows (7), and use it for an indefinite amount of time, without encountering graphic-related issues. Though, after shutting the computer down and trying to boot-up again; the card becomes useless, and the system boots using the on-board chip.

The card only booted about every 30th(+) try, until I followed the steps below:
1) Hard-shut off the computer (disconnected power-supply source)
2) Removed and re-inserted the graphics-card
3) Turned the computer on, once again

For a while (maybe 20-30 boot-ups) I could repeat the steps above to make the card function, as after shut-down, the card would be made useless again, and the on-board chip would be used (only because it could not detect a PCI-E device).

Now, the card does not function at all (even after using the trick above), completely refusing to show POST, and immediately forwarding to my onboard-chip.

I have come up with a list of the possible causes for this issue, and would appreciate the input of others, regarding it:
1) The card is bugged/a POS.
2) The power supply is insufficient, or going bad - * I think this might actually be the cause, I was surprised to learn that the computer is actually only using an old 400W power supply. *
3) The BIOS is outdated, or functioning improperly and does not want to boot from PCI-E.
4) The PCI-E slot on the motherboard is bad.

Solutions:
1) Buy a new card (recommendations?)
2) Buy a new power-supply (I'm thinking 600W?)
3) Update the BIOS.
4) Buy a new motherboard.

Additional info:
I can feel the graphics-card getting pretty hot, even after the machine has booted using the onboard-chip, which leads me to think that the card is a complete piece of junk. Tough, could it also be that it is not receiving *enough* power, therefore heating up, but being unable to function?

Thanks,

Alexander
1 answer Last reply
More about sporadic graphics card behaviour geforce gddr3
  1. Alright, to get you started off, post all your specs nice and organized. Tbh your better off just getting a new system. Since that system of yours is old, you can choose to tell me the specs and i can tell you good part. Or you can just build one from scratch?
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Geforce Graphics