Sign in with
Your question

Can i access bios if i put ivy bridge cpu on sandy bridge motherboard?

Last response: in CPUs
January 8, 2013 3:58:39 PM

Hello, i'v got MSI P67A-GD55 (B3) motherboard and Intel I5 3570K cpu. This motherboard support ivy bridge tehnology after updating BIOS to version 4.1 and above. Can i acces BIOS if i place cpu in motherboard and try to start pc? Thanks in advance.
January 8, 2013 6:36:26 PM

All I can say is, ask at http://forum-en.msi.com/ since the BIOS download files won't have that information, and several MSI BIOSes support only Ivy Bridge or only Sandy Bridge, not both, meaning once you upgrade from a Sandy Bridge compatible BIOS, the motherboard will no longer support Sandy Bridge but will require an Ivy Bridge CPU to boot. Follow only the instructions given at the MSI forums since the other instructions are riskier.
a b V Motherboard
January 8, 2013 7:30:16 PM

You'll need a Sandy to access and update the BIOS. Then you can put in your Ivy. Unless your board was made recently and it might have the correct bios....
Related resources
January 8, 2013 7:33:56 PM

zdbc13 said:
You'll need a Sandy to access and update the BIOS. Then you can put in your Ivy. Unless your board was made recently and it might have the correct bios....

So there is no way to update and acces bios without sandy bridge cpu becaose i only have mine 3570k and that is ivy bridge cpu.
So i will have to barrow sandy bridge cpu first and there is no way to acces bios with ivy bridge cpu?
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
January 8, 2013 7:43:27 PM

Yup, unless you have a USB BIOS flash feature as some boards do, and I am fairly sure your's doesn't.

Hmm, I could be wrong, look up M-Flash in your MOBO manual, that might work for you.
a b V Motherboard
January 8, 2013 8:08:14 PM

I'd try your Ivy out and see if it works. When that board originally came out it required the BIOS update but if your board was built later it might have the update already. It's worth a try before going to all the trouble to find a Sandy... It shouldn't hurt anything, just not boot if it doesn't have the right bios....
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
January 8, 2013 8:19:20 PM

They put stickers on the boxes if they are already updated to an Ivy compatibly BIOS, even my RAM had a sticker stuck on it spouting its compatibility with IvyBridge. I still think that M-Flash might work, it is meant to save your board if it gets bricked by a bad BIOS update, so I do not see why it would not work to update a non-bricked BIOS. Just make sure it's the absolute right BIOS to be safe.
!