Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Closed

Installation for Windows 8 Pro

Last response: in Windows 8
Share
January 28, 2013 12:15:38 PM

Hello,
I have an Hp Pavillion P7-1418
AMD A6-5400K APU with Radeon(tm) HD Graphics 3.6 Ghz with 6GB RAM PC3 12800 1600 MHZ
1 TB WD Blue Harddrive
Windows 8 Preinstalled

I have my own copy of Windows 8 Pro
When I try to install it won't install using my Product key and will use the key from the pre-install.
I also get the message this is MBR and should be GPT partitioning.
When Windows 8 Pro gets installed it is still Windows 8. I am also unable to use my product key that came with the software. No windows open up for me to input my software product key.
Does anyone have any input on this situation
I have already changed everything over to legacy support, but still the same trouble.
BIOS has options for disabling secure boot which has already been done.
January 29, 2013 12:56:47 AM

Regarding the Windows 8 Pro - is it an Upgrade or is it a full install version?

If it is a full install version, then you can format the hard disk and install Win 8 Pro as a clean install. You will need to re-install all your programs.

Please make backups before you try anything.
January 29, 2013 1:21:46 PM

Ubrales said:
Regarding the Windows 8 Pro - is it an Upgrade or is it a full install version?

If it is a full install version, then you can format the hard disk and install Win 8 Pro as a clean install. You will need to re-install all your programs.

Please make backups before you try anything.


Clean Full Install and nothing changes and it keeps the old operating system's product key and does not ask for my product key.
Related resources
January 29, 2013 1:28:26 PM

techluck59 said:
Clean Full Install and nothing changes and it keeps the old operating system's product key and does not ask for my product key.

And you have Windows 8 Pro running?

Sooner or later (30 days activation period) it will ask you for the key.
a b * Windows 8
January 29, 2013 1:37:52 PM

new laptops have the key encrypted in the BIOS. The installer is picking up that key and activating it. I would guess the OEM put a windows 8 basic key in the BIOS. This would force you to install windows 8 basic and then have to run the windows 8 pro pack to move from windows 8 basic to windows 8 professional.

unless there is a way to override the default BIOS key via command line entry to the setup program.

- I think there is a link in windows 8 to upgrade to windows 8 pro. I also think it cost more than the upgrade from win7 to windows 8 pro. At least until the end of this month with the special upgrade deal.

the binaries for windows 8 and windows 8 pro are the same, just the key activates the other software features

edit: just enter your new key windows 8 pro key in control panel.
in control panel->system->get more features with a new edition of windows/I already have a product key.

a b * Windows 8
January 29, 2013 2:26:12 PM

HP's have an option in the bios to disable W8 UEFI secure boot and switch it back to legacy mode for W7/Linux compatibility. Set this and it should just ignore the W8 key and allow you to install.
a b * Windows 8
January 29, 2013 2:30:37 PM

das_stig said:
HP's have an option in the bios to disable W8 UEFI secure boot and switch it back to legacy mode for W7/Linux compatibility. Set this and it should just ignore the W8 key and allow you to install.

UEFI secure boot and Windows 8 key in BIOS are not related. UEFI secure boot is a standard that Windows 8 supports. I think Linux is in the process of getting support for it. You can turn off UEFI secure boot and still use the windows 8 BIOS key.
January 30, 2013 12:34:29 PM

Ubrales said:
And you have Windows 8 Pro running?

Sooner or later (30 days activation period) it will ask you for the key.


I just have Windows 8 running. It never changes to PRO.
January 30, 2013 12:35:51 PM

johnbl said:
new laptops have the key encrypted in the BIOS. The installer is picking up that key and activating it. I would guess the OEM put a windows 8 basic key in the BIOS. This would force you to install windows 8 basic and then have to run the windows 8 pro pack to move from windows 8 basic to windows 8 professional.

unless there is a way to override the default BIOS key via command line entry to the setup program.

- I think there is a link in windows 8 to upgrade to windows 8 pro. I also think it cost more than the upgrade from win7 to windows 8 pro. At least until the end of this month with the special upgrade deal.

the binaries for windows 8 and windows 8 pro are the same, just the key activates the other software features

edit: just enter your new key windows 8 pro key in control panel.
in control panel->system->get more features with a new edition of windows/I already have a product key.


Will not work either because the key is being used to many times from the multiple times that I have re-installed it.
January 30, 2013 12:39:51 PM

johnbl said:
UEFI secure boot and Windows 8 key in BIOS are not related. UEFI secure boot is a standard that Windows 8 supports. I think Linux is in the process of getting support for it. You can turn off UEFI secure boot and still use the windows 8 BIOS key.



I am trying to use the keys that I have because I want a fresh clean install. I have already done this. I am still stuck with Windows 8 and not Windows 8 PRO. It never updates to the PRO version.
a b * Windows 8
January 30, 2013 1:45:14 PM

techluck59 said:
I am trying to use the keys that I have because I want a fresh clean install. I have already done this. I am still stuck with Windows 8 and not Windows 8 PRO. It never updates to the PRO version.



all the binaries for your computer will be the same. the only difference is the key will activate different features. if you have installed many times on the same computer your key should be ok. install the OS using the built in BIOS key
then use control panel upgrade OS features to get to the pro version. When it asks for the key just enter in the pro key that you purchased and it should work.
It will validate the key then attempt to contact the internet to make sure the key is not banned. (the key gets assigned to specific hardware and can be reused on that same hardware, (I have installed mine 3 times on the same machine now)


if the key is rejected when you type it in, most likely you just have a typo. reading a o for 0 or G for a 6 type of thing.

if your key is rejected during internet activation you will have to call Microsoft support they will look up your key and see if it is a pirate key. it not been used on hundreds of machines they will give you another key or clear the activation limits on the one you have. only take a few mins, just make sure you write down the new key correctly.
January 31, 2013 1:15:11 PM

johnbl:
Sorry I have tried that but no change.
These are my own 2 copies of Windows 8 PRO.
It has something to do with the bios unfortunately and I could have to flash it off for it to install properly. It will never ask for my activation key.
January 31, 2013 1:15:57 PM

NOT ANYBODY ELSE'S COPY
January 31, 2013 1:17:37 PM

Thanks for your help everyone. If you know anything else I could try please let me know.
a b * Windows 8
January 31, 2013 2:44:56 PM

It will never ask for your key if you have a key in BIOS
You have to run the control panel and tell the system you want to buy a upgrade to pro. Then you select that you already have a key and enter the key. you should be able to activate the same key many many times on the same machine without issue.
I think the control panel menu item is disabled after you do this. (at least I don't see it anymore on my machine)

control panel-> system and security-> system
the windows edition on my machine indicates "Windows 8 Pro"


or start cmd.exe and run the command
systeminfo.exe and look at the second line that indicates OS Name

what does yours indicate?
February 2, 2013 11:36:36 PM

I have my problem fixed. I have to remove the key from the bios or force the install using windows setup program through the command prompt and add my product key from the command like or add it to my bios support.

To johnbl: it indicates Windows 8. Now I have solved my problem. Very easy fix should have realized it from the start.
February 2, 2013 11:42:03 PM

PS: Should be command line not command like
February 9, 2013 1:24:57 AM

@Tehluck, what exactly was the reason for the report? I'm not sure what you want me to do here.

I'm going to go ahead and close the thread though as you've said you got it fixed.
If this is not your intention please message me and I'll reverse it.
February 9, 2013 1:27:20 AM

This topic has been closed by Apanzee
!