Switching out mobo and CPU, do i need to reinstall OS?

alhanelem

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2010
I'm switching out my old mobo (G31 chipset) and old cpu (E8500) with a new mobo (Z68) and a new cpu (i5 2500k/3550K)

I've heard that you can get away with switching out the mobo with out having to reinstall the OS by running SYSPREP.
Is it possible for my case? I have windows 7 pro by the way.

I also have Acronis so i could make an image of my HDD partion, or would that not work since it would contain drivers from the old mobo?

killersquirel11

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2010
I think what will end up happening in your case is that it may not have the correct drivers for your chipset, it will default to the generic drivers. Then, the next time you boot in, it will probably go to Windows Update, get the right drivers, and all will be well.
Since you have Acronis, I'd recommend imaging it, just to be safe.

tivatar

Honorable
Aug 24, 2012
Should work... you might run into a few driver problems on the first few start-ups, but it should fix itself. There's always safe mode, Windows repair disk, Hiren's, etc should something go wrong where it won't boot.

Windows will probably have you reactivate because it flips out with new motherboards (they see everything). If MS asks what happened, the answer is "lightning fried my mobo and I was forced to upgrade." They haven't the last few times I've upgraded, but it's happened before.