Upgrading PSU, is this compatible?

LukeSuby

Honorable
Dec 26, 2012
Hi there, I recently upgraded a bunch of components in my Dell Inspiron 560 including RAM, Adding an additional HDD (WD Caviar Green 1TB SATA III) and adding a Graphics card (AMD Radeon HD 6570 1GB Cache Gaming Graphics Card) and I noticed the graphics card requests a minimum 450W PSU, while I have a 240W. It all works fine together, but when I try to turn up the settings from my graphics card the machine crashes and/or blue screens.

So, my questions are:
1: Would the following PSU be compatible with my machine?
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Corsair-CX750-Builder-Series-Bronze/dp/B008RJZR40/ref=pd_sim_computers_10
2: Would this stop my computer blue screening?/Be enough for my components?
3:Would this allow me to get the best out of my graphics card? e.g. no FPS lag (I get little now, but on higher quality games such as Fallout 3 I get a fair bit.)

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Rammy

Honorable
1) Assuming your current PSU is ATX form (it should be), then it'll fit fine

2) Yeah but it's complete overkill. Unless you are planning to keep it for future PCs, it's a waste of money, and even then not much really needs 750W. A good entry level PSU in the ~400W ballpark would be more than sufficient for this machine.

3) Whatever you do, the graphics card will be pretty weak. Upgrading a PSU won't change this. It really depends on the sort of quality you expect versus what is available. At low resolutions it should run things fairly smoothly, but if you are trying to play more modern games at higher resolutions, it'll run out of steam.

LukeSuby

Honorable
Dec 26, 2012
Thanks guys,

I'm not sure what form it is, it's just the default one I got with my machine how would I check that?

Yeah I'm planning on building my own machine from scratch in a year or so, it will be a higher spec than this machine so I might as well invest now and just re-use it later.

And that's the thing, when I go onto the settings of the card to turn them up and get more out of it it warns me my PSU isn't big enough to handle everything at the same time, I tried anyway but it froze as soon as I applied it so I spent an hour trying to undo it because my machine was jittery whereas before it would be fine.

Thanks again I appreciate it! :)