mookial

Honorable
Jun 6, 2012
Planning to upgrade from my 3570K and want to know what chip will benefit me more. I'm in to heavy gaming as well as streaming in 1080p (takes a lot of CPU usage). Just wondering what will be a better buy since they are the same price. Ill be OC as well .

Will be on a ASRock z77 extreme 4 with 16 GB of ram & noctua d14

For gaming the 3570K will be the best bet... You will see absolutely no performance difference with upgrading to the 3770K, in fact you might see a slight drop.

But if you absolutely must upgrade, go with the 3770K since it supports PCIe 3.0, and is what the Z77 chipset is designed for.

theres no actual performance difference in games, only real difference between both processor is one has 4cores,4threads and one has 4cores-8threads, meaning in multi tasking or cpu intensive programs ud see a gain but not in gaming.

mookial

Honorable
Jun 6, 2012
Gaming is fine but when streaming my CPu is almost getting to 100%. I was at a 4.2 Oc and still seeing some high CpU usage . What can combat this problem?

There is absolutely no reason that streaming would take up more than a 10% on a OC'd 3570k, and an i7 would absolutely not help that problem.

to be honest I would start looking into the possibility of malware on your system.

MC_K7

Distinguished
The only thing the i7 has over the i5 is hyper-threading. But for gaming it makes no difference, this is why gamers get the i5. What kind of streaming are you doing? Usually this shouldn't be very demanding and I'm not sure hyper-threading would help you streaming better. In other words, you shouldn't see much improvement going to an i7 (or maybe no improvement at all), so it's not worth the price IMHO.

Assuming there are no other issues, such as programs in the background or malware, your best bet would be to further overclock. You should be able to dig up at least another 400mhz. It's cheap solution and it's easy.

You could also try less CPU intensive settings. That should reduce CPU load.

mookial

Honorable
Jun 6, 2012
I understand its just when playing a game alone without the streaming program open everything is fine, but when opening and actually streaming the CPU usage goes up and everything beings to become sluggish

mookial

Honorable
Jun 6, 2012

That is correct. When playing games standalone, the games run fine on max settings. It's not until I begin streaming that FPS drops occur and CPU usage goes way up. I used to use XSplit to stream, but have since switched to Open Broadcast Software (OBS) which works the same and lightens the load on CPU usage. But still it is pretty intense when using

ok... This now all of a sudden makes sense.

I have a feeling that if you open task manager during this that you will notice DWM.exe running relatively high. This is because your machine is trying to figure out where to display the separate images.

Also, a bigger problem than your CPU is your graphics card. You are trying to have it render multiple sources at once, so it is having to swap memory and constantly refresh itself to attempt to keep up.

Again, I am going to stick with my original statement, that an i7 would more than likely not change anything. Adding a second GPU might.

mookial

Honorable
Jun 6, 2012
I currently have Corsair 8GB LP 1600 Memory. I'm going to upgrade to 16 GB 1600 soon. And I thought my GPU would be strong enough (nVidia GTX 670 FTW). I don't think its worth buying another one. :(

azed3000

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2012
2700k is better if your overclocking, it overclocks much higher than the 3770k, max being 5.2 while 3770k tops out at 4.8. That being said, both cpus at the same clock speed will result in the 3770k being better.

So basically 3770k if your not planning to overclock or only doing slight overclocks, 2700k if you plan on taking it up all the way.

But your current i5 is pretty good too so i wouldnt bother =)

setras

Honorable
Nov 18, 2012

Are you sure about that???

i72700kcpuzandhw.jpg

the 2700 is just as good as the 3700, they both overclock just as good, and have similar cache and specs.

but if ur gonna bother getting a new cpu whynot get the newer 3700, if they are the same price.

setras

Honorable
Nov 18, 2012
i would choose the 3770K. even though i just bought 2700k.....

I use my rig for music generation and the 2700k is fine for me.... but gaming the 3770k is better as it supports PCIe 3 the 2700k supports 2... so for future proofing with games and gfx cards the choice is obvious......