Going Down Again

Apparently the servers are going down tomorrow morning and again the next
day to clear up something that has been found to have been causing some
kind of problems on some of the servers. Sometime. LOL. That's not very
definite, nor encouraging.

True, playing on several servers as I do, including Scarlet Crusade, the
gameplay has been near impossible last few days. I'm surprised they don't
take the time to say WHAT they are planning to do and on WHICH servers
this mysterious voodoo technology will be put into place.

As much as I'm not wild about GuildWars, it looks better with each crash.

VelvetElvis

G wrote:
> > As much as I'm not wild about GuildWars, it looks better with each crash.
>
> Guild Wars isn't an MMORPG though.

Is it not? What is it then?

steve.kaye

VelvetElvis wrote:
> Apparently the servers are going down tomorrow morning and again the
> next day to clear up something that has been found to have been
> causing some kind of problems on some of the servers. Sometime. LOL.
> That's not very definite, nor encouraging.
>
> True, playing on several servers as I do, including Scarlet Crusade,
> the gameplay has been near impossible last few days. I'm surprised
> they don't take the time to say WHAT they are planning to do and on
> WHICH servers this mysterious voodoo technology will be put into
> place.
>
> As much as I'm not wild about GuildWars, it looks better with each
> crash.

What crashes? Apart from the weekly scheduled downtime, there have only been
two or three occasions when I've tried to play and haven't been able to
since I bought the game.

--
www.pickuptruckracing.com - UK's closest race series
Spotter for the PWR truck #9

"¤¤¤ Abo ¤¤¤" <nospam@myaddress.thanks> schreef in bericht
> VelvetElvis wrote:
> > Apparently the servers are going down tomorrow morning and again the
> > next day to clear up something that has been found to have been
> > causing some kind of problems on some of the servers. Sometime. LOL.
> > That's not very definite, nor encouraging.
> >
> > True, playing on several servers as I do, including Scarlet Crusade,
> > the gameplay has been near impossible last few days. I'm surprised
> > they don't take the time to say WHAT they are planning to do and on
> > WHICH servers this mysterious voodoo technology will be put into
> > place.
> >
> > As much as I'm not wild about GuildWars, it looks better with each
> > crash.
>
> What crashes? Apart from the weekly scheduled downtime, there have only
been
> two or three occasions when I've tried to play and haven't been able to
> since I bought the game.
>
> --
> www.pickuptruckracing.com - UK's closest race series
> Spotter for the PWR truck #9
> Watch us here: http://tinyurl.com/79xxg

What server you on??? deff wan't to switch then.

"steve.kaye" <nospam@giddy-kippers.co.uk> wrote in message

> G wrote:
>> > As much as I'm not wild about GuildWars, it looks better with each
>> > crash.
>>
>> Guild Wars isn't an MMORPG though.
>
> Is it not? What is it then?

I'd say it fits all the requirements - it's Massively Multiplayer, Online,
and an RPG. I'd say 'G' may have his/her facts slightly askew.

Cheers,

Ben

Ben Ashmead wrote:
> "steve.kaye" <nospam@giddy-kippers.co.uk> wrote in message

>>> Guild Wars isn't an MMORPG though.
>>
>> Is it not? What is it then?
>
> I'd say it fits all the requirements - it's Massively Multiplayer,
> Online, and an RPG. I'd say 'G' may have his/her facts slightly askew.

Nah. Just MMORPG elitism (which is kind of sad). Some people have claimed
that it's not a true MMORPG, since the worldmap and dungeons are instanced,
and only the town(s) are MMO.

rene

"steve.kaye" <nospam@giddy-kippers.co.uk> wrote:
> G wrote:
> > > As much as I'm not wild about GuildWars, it looks better with each
> > > crash.
> >
> > Guild Wars isn't an MMORPG though.
>
> Is it not? What is it then?

I'd say some mix of multiplayer action adventure. Sort of Diablo3 not by
Blizzard if you want. There is no outdoor world where you can meet.
Everything is a dungeon (instanced), you can only meet in cities/towns but
there you cannot fight, it is for trading, chatting, grouping only. You
meet, you make group, you zoom into an instance. There just is no world.
The comparison to Diablo 2 is quite easy, you had the chatroom/lobbies to
meet, trade (at least preparation) but then you opened up a game-instance
and went killing mobs (or other players). This is quite similar of what
there is in GW. There is an outdoor world, but it's an instance. You cannot
meet random people outside the meeting points.

If you call Diablo 2 a MMORPG, then you should call GW the same. If you
believe - as I do - that Diablo2 is not a MMORPG, then GW is none as well.
The official page does not call it an MMORPG either, btw.

There is a strong focus on Guild vs Guild in the game. If that makes it an
MMORPG, then Unreal Tournament and Quake as well as Counter Strike are
probably also MMORPGs :)

This all of course IMHO. Fun game, excellent graphics, some novel ideas.
Not an MMORPG in my book. Give it a shot if WoW starts to bore you.

CU

René

Usenet Newsgroup Service $9.95/Month 30GB

rene

"sanjian" <sanjian@widomaker.com> wrote:
> Ben Ashmead wrote:
> > "steve.kaye" <nospam@giddy-kippers.co.uk> wrote in message

> >> Is it not? What is it then?
> >
> > I'd say it fits all the requirements - it's Massively Multiplayer,
> > Online, and an RPG. I'd say 'G' may have his/her facts slightly askew.
>
> Nah. Just MMORPG elitism (which is kind of sad). Some people have
> claimed that it's not a true MMORPG, since the worldmap and dungeons are
> instanced, and only the town(s) are MMO.

Official FAQ:
http://www.guildwars.com/faq/default.html

Is Guild Wars an MMORPG (Massively Multiplayer Online Role Playing Game)?

[..]
"Rather than labeling Guild Wars an MMORPG, we prefer to call it a CORPG
(Competitive Online Role-Playing Game)." [..]

There is definitivly no Massive Multiplayer (maybe they add it?). Again my
comparsion with Diablo 2 which didn't have that and isn't an MMORPG either.

??? Abo ??? <nospam@myaddress.thanks> wrote:

> What crashes? Apart from the weekly scheduled downtime, there have only been
> two or three occasions when I've tried to play and haven't been able to
> since I bought the game.

There were alot of issues around the end of December last year. I
remember being quite frustrated, but they did credit significant time
for the inconvenience. Since then, I have experienced little memorable
downtime.

--
Thomas T. Veldhouse

unkn2232324

>> G wrote:
>> > As much as I'm not wild about GuildWars, it looks better with each
>> > crash.
>>
>> Guild Wars isn't an MMORPG though.
>
> Is it not? What is it then?
>
> steve.kaye

Its a multiplayer RPG game. The 'massively multiplayer' part is nothing
more than a glorified chat/trade/meeting room.
*You cannot just *randomly* meet & greet, fight, help or in whatever way
interact with others whilst playing the game - all interaction with players
(apart from cities) is pre-determined and very limited to a handful.
*All the actual combat/playing areas are instanced. ie they don't have
world servers to host the game content - which is why they don't need to
charge a montly fee, they don't have the huge ongoing costs of other MMO
games. (I know back in 2000 EverQuest cost US$1.5 million/month just to
run - I imagine WoW is quite a bit more than that with like 4-5x the game
worlds worldwide).

As Rene said, if Guild Wars is an MMO, then so is Diablo by the same
definition really (or Neverwinter Nights, Dungeon Siege or any other online
rpg).

I'm not in any way trying to say that Guild Wars is not fun or a game not
worth playing - but I get a little tired of people and the whole "Guild Wars
is a great MMORPG no monthly fee" .. "I'll play the MMORPG Guild Wars
instead because I'm sick of WoW crashing." They are different gameplay
experiences.

Nor am I trying to downplay the problems with WoW. They are RAKING in the
money but are doing very little to fix the massive problems with crashing &
lag/latency issues. I played EverQuest for years and almost never
encountered the kind of crashing/buggy/laggy problems that I encounter in
every single play session of WoW (nor did anyone else I knew).

Mulligan

Distinguished
May 14, 2004

"sanjian" <sanjian@widomaker.com> wrote in message
> Ben Ashmead wrote:
>> "steve.kaye" <nospam@giddy-kippers.co.uk> wrote in message

>>> Is it not? What is it then?
>>
>> I'd say it fits all the requirements - it's Massively Multiplayer,
>> Online, and an RPG. I'd say 'G' may have his/her facts slightly askew.
>
> Nah. Just MMORPG elitism (which is kind of sad). Some people have
> claimed that it's not a true MMORPG, since the worldmap and dungeons are
> instanced, and only the town(s) are MMO.

The world map....the game in it's entirety (except the towns) is instanced??

Sounds like a single player game with a graphical chat area.

Mulligan

professor

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2005

No but i play on Terenas, whats the problem?
Apart from maintenance, and one occasion i recall the password server
died (all what blizzard re-imburseded) i have not seen downtime a
problem.
Some people obviously play too long that they want 24/7

¤¤¤ Abo ¤¤¤ wrote:
> VelvetElvis wrote:
>
>>Apparently the servers are going down tomorrow morning and again the
>>next day to clear up something that has been found to have been
>>causing some kind of problems on some of the servers. Sometime. LOL.
>>That's not very definite, nor encouraging.
>
> What crashes? Apart from the weekly scheduled downtime, there have only been
> two or three occasions when I've tried to play and haven't been able to
> since I bought the game.

Oh, please don't tell me we're going to have another attack of "my
server doesn't crash therefore I don't believe any of them do". Your
server runs well? Cool! But look at the official realm status forum and
you'll see that SOMEONE'S server going tits up is a daily occurrence.

Cheers!
David...

On Wed, 17 Aug 2005 12:46:34 GMT, Thomas T. Veldhouse posted to
alt.games.warcraft:

> There were alot of issues around the end of December last year. I
> remember being quite frustrated, but they did credit significant time
> for the inconvenience. Since then, I have experienced little memorable
> downtime.

You obviously do not play on Terenas then...

--
"It's so simple. No, wait--it's needlessly complex!"
- Homer Simpson

On Thu, 18 Aug 2005 00:23:13 GMT, Professor posted to
alt.games.warcraft:

> No but i play on Terenas, whats the problem?
> Apart from maintenance, and one occasion i recall the password server
> died (all what blizzard re-imburseded) i have not seen downtime a
> problem.
> Some people obviously play too long that they want 24/7

Ah, yes, the tired old "it's up when I want to play, so what's the
problem?" shpeal. Get real. There are other time zones than the one
you're in, and people want to play when you're asleep or at school or, when
you get old enough, at work. There's a whole other, big world out there,
sonny boy. Wake up and smell the apple juice.

--
My girlfriend said "Its me or that computer"
God - I'm gonna miss her

In <Xns96B64F1F25EA1klaatunospaminvalid@127.0.0.1> Klaatu <klaatu@nospam.invalid> writes:

> On Thu, 18 Aug 2005 00:23:13 GMT, Professor posted to
> alt.games.warcraft:

> Ah, yes, the tired old "it's up when I want to play, so what's the
> problem?" shpeal. Get real. There are other time zones than the one
> you're in, and people want to play when you're asleep or at school or, when
> you get old enough, at work. There's a whole other, big world out there,
> sonny boy. Wake up and smell the apple juice.

I don't think you're being fair. His experience is that the server is
nearly always up when he wants to play, so that's what he reported.

Don't fault him for not providing a comprehensive evaluation. He gave you
one data point; if you want more data, it's your job to go find it.

--
John Gordon "It's certainly uncontaminated by cheese."
gordon@panix.com

On 2005-08-17 14:19:34 +0200, "sanjian" <sanjian@widomaker.com> said:

> Ben Ashmead wrote:
>> "steve.kaye" <nospam@giddy-kippers.co.uk> wrote in message

>>> Is it not? What is it then?
>>
>> I'd say it fits all the requirements - it's Massively Multiplayer,
>> Online, and an RPG. I'd say 'G' may have his/her facts slightly askew.
>
> Nah. Just MMORPG elitism (which is kind of sad). Some people have
> claimed that it's not a true MMORPG, since the worldmap and dungeons
> are instanced, and only the town(s) are MMO.

Even the towns are instanced. As soon as two many people enter a
certain town, a new instance gets created. True, you can easily switch
between instances, but it will never get 'massive', thuse reducing a
serious amount of server load and bandwidth, and making them able to
not ask a monthly fee (as their maintenance costs are much lower than
for a 'true' MMORPG). I'd say it's a MORPG :)
--
http://www.new-roots.com/
Nerghal - Undead Warlock lvl 60 - Bloodscalp EU