Marco

Hi all,

I need to overwrilte reg.exe file in the system32 folder, but when I do this
XP replace the original automatically.
Hoa can I disable this?
I need to use "reg update" that there isn't in reg.exe XP version.

Thank you.

Hi

Why do you need to use a different version of reg.exe? It's probably
protected by System File Protection. If that's the case then XP will
replace it with it's own version.

--

Will Denny
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

"Marco" <marco_steffenini@cotyinc.com> wrote in message
> Hi all,
>
> I need to overwrilte reg.exe file in the system32 folder, but when I do
> this XP replace the original automatically.
> Hoa can I disable this?
> I need to use "reg update" that there isn't in reg.exe XP version.
>
> Thank you.

Marco

Hi,

You are right, it's protected by WFP. I need the versione 1.10 of reg.exe
(the W2K resource kit version) because there are more swithces....and one of
this is UPDATE.
Do you know how I can bypass this problem using the XP reg.exe version?

Thank you.

> Hi
>
> Why do you need to use a different version of reg.exe? It's probably
> protected by System File Protection. If that's the case then XP will
> replace it with it's own version.
>
> --
>
> Will Denny
> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
> Please reply to the News Groups
>

> "Marco" <marco_steffenini@cotyinc.com> wrote in message
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I need to overwrilte reg.exe file in the system32 folder, but when I do
>> this XP replace the original automatically.
>> Hoa can I disable this?
>> I need to use "reg update" that there isn't in reg.exe XP version.
>>
>> Thank you.

You need to find all existing copies of REG.EXE and rename them. The simplest way to do this, without System File Protection kicking in is to boot to Safe Mode with Command prompt. From the C: prompt do a DIR REG.EXE /A /S Note the locations where REG.EXE is found and rename them to REGOLD.EXE. Then copy the REG.EXE replacement to the Windows\System32 folder. If Windows complains about changed/missing files when you reboot, tell it not to worry about it.

However, why can't you just rename the REG.EXE file you want to use to REGUPDT.EXE and run it?

Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
http://www.dougknox.com
--------------------------------
--------------------------------
Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.

"Marco" <marco_steffenini@cotyinc.com> wrote in message news:ekqly5KfFHA.3944@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> Hi all,
>
> I need to overwrilte reg.exe file in the system32 folder, but when I do this
> XP replace the original automatically.
> Hoa can I disable this?
> I need to use "reg update" that there isn't in reg.exe XP version.
>
> Thank you.

Marco

Thank Doug

I'll do it in your way.....
I can also rename the old version of reg.exe (1.10 ver.) in regupdt.exe but
this program do a lot of things, not only update.
Do you know with reg.exe XP version (3.0) which is the way to update a
registry key?

Thanks

"Doug Knox MS-MVP" <dknox@mvps.org> wrote in message
You need to find all existing copies of REG.EXE and rename them. The
simplest way to do this, without System File Protection kicking in is to
boot to Safe Mode with Command prompt. From the C: prompt do a DIR REG.EXE
/A /S Note the locations where REG.EXE is found and rename them to
REGOLD.EXE. Then copy the REG.EXE replacement to the Windows\System32
folder. If Windows complains about changed/missing files when you reboot,
tell it not to worry about it.

However, why can't you just rename the REG.EXE file you want to use to
REGUPDT.EXE and run it?

--
Doug Knox, MS-MVP Windows Media Center\Windows Powered Smart
Display\Security
Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
http://www.dougknox.com
--------------------------------
--------------------------------
Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.

"Marco" <marco_steffenini@cotyinc.com> wrote in message
> Hi all,
>
> I need to overwrilte reg.exe file in the system32 folder, but when I do
> this
> XP replace the original automatically.
> Hoa can I disable this?
> I need to use "reg update" that there isn't in reg.exe XP version.
>
> Thank you.

Create a REG file with the information you want (easily done by exporting the key/value you want to change, then edit it). Use REGEDIT /S <path to REG file>\yourregfile.ref to import the modified REG file silently.

Alternatively, a VB Script has the capabilities of modifying the Registry as well.

"Marco" <mop_75@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:%237bL1uVfFHA.2152@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
> Thank Doug
>
> I'll do it in your way.....
> I can also rename the old version of reg.exe (1.10 ver.) in regupdt.exe but
> this program do a lot of things, not only update.
> Do you know with reg.exe XP version (3.0) which is the way to update a
> registry key?
>
> Thanks
>
> "Doug Knox MS-MVP" <dknox@mvps.org> wrote in message
> You need to find all existing copies of REG.EXE and rename them. The
> simplest way to do this, without System File Protection kicking in is to
> boot to Safe Mode with Command prompt. From the C: prompt do a DIR REG.EXE
> /A /S Note the locations where REG.EXE is found and rename them to
> REGOLD.EXE. Then copy the REG.EXE replacement to the Windows\System32
> folder. If Windows complains about changed/missing files when you reboot,
> tell it not to worry about it.
>
> However, why can't you just rename the REG.EXE file you want to use to
> REGUPDT.EXE and run it?
>
> --
> Doug Knox, MS-MVP Windows Media Center\Windows Powered Smart
> Display\Security
> Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
> http://www.dougknox.com
> --------------------------------
> --------------------------------
> Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.
>
> "Marco" <marco_steffenini@cotyinc.com> wrote in message
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I need to overwrilte reg.exe file in the system32 folder, but when I do
>> this
>> XP replace the original automatically.
>> Hoa can I disable this?
>> I need to use "reg update" that there isn't in reg.exe XP version.
>>
>> Thank you.

there is an easier way to replace the reg.exe. you can just turn off WFP.