I have recently pulled out a pretty old extension cord from my garage and i'm not sure how much amps it can withstand.
The extension cord is currently supplying three electronic appliances(60w lamp, 80W monitor, 500-800w Desktop). The monitor was off and the desktop was put to sleepMode, and I left only the lamp on for about 2hrs, but when I turned of the lamp, the desktop booted up automatically. This never happened when I plug the desktop to a separate outlet.
I was wondering, will this sudden change damage any computer hardware, especially the PSU?
I did multiple tests these days, and here are the results:
I bought a 300j min - 2100 j max surge protector and plugged in a dual-socket Wall Outlet. I have my Monitor+60W lamp + desktop + laptop connected to the surge protector (all powered on). Then I put my desktop to sleep, when I turn the lamp off/on, the desktop will automatically boot up. But this only happens about 8/10 tests (x 10 tests (lamp on/off)).
I have also tested with the older extension cord (without surge protect), and the same thing happened.
I then plugged my 60w lamp to the extension cord(w/o surge protect) which is connected to a separate wall outlet, while leaving my PCs/monitor intact on the surge protector. Turned lamp on/off again......and same thing happened, desktop wakes up.
At first, I though this must be some sorta power surge stress on the PSU...but not until I plugged in a 120w+80w floor Lamp onto either of the extension cords. My desktop is in sleep mode regardless how many times I turn on/off my floor lamp.
I did some research on the web.....it seems it's the strong EMI from the lamp that caused the desktop to wake up.....not sure though.....my laptop seems to be smooth.