Molex and SATA question

Feetfood

Honorable
Jan 3, 2013
I am considering putting a Radeon 6970 into my machine ($240 au rather than $400+ for the 7900), and I have a 680w PSU. Weirdly enough though, I have a 6 pin pcie connector, but only one 4 pin molex and 6 SATA connectors. Would I able to use a SATA to molex adaptor to run an 8 pin pcie adaptor to run the 6970?

Solution
It lists nothing with regards to the 12V amps available. Which cables you use does not really matter all that much.

Do you have the funds to replace your whole system?

With regards to using it for the short term, be aware that it could fail instantly.

IMO not worth the risk.

Feetfood

Honorable
Jan 3, 2013
Hdd is coming of the SATA cables, and the DVD-RW drive is coming off the other molex using a molex to SATA adapter. I'll come off the DVD-RW as it doesn't get used as much as my hdd.

It lists nothing with regards to the 12V amps available. Which cables you use does not really matter all that much.

Do you have the funds to replace your whole system?

With regards to using it for the short term, be aware that it could fail instantly.

IMO not worth the risk.

Solution

per delluser1(status addict) from an older thread:

It's a discontinued model ( can't be found on Tt's site ) with a 65%+ efficiency rating and not really a 700 watt unit.
Combined output on the 12v is about 39 amps based on 5v and 3.3v combined max output ( may be capable of a little more on the 12v )
Specs here
It should do, for how long is anybody's guess.