Solved

Upgrade Suggestions

Hello,

Hi,

I thought I would just go out there with the information on our current family computer and ask for recommendations on a set of upgrades that will allow for better gaming for my son...

Intel Core i5 Quad core i5-750 2.66 GHZ Processor
Asus video card Radeon HD4350 512 MB PCIE2 D
Kingston 4GB (2x2GB) 1333MHZ DDR3 Non-Ecc ci
Asus P7H55-M Pro Desktop Board - Intel chipset ATX
Coolermaster Elite RC-330 Case with 420 power
Western Digital Caviar SE16 Hard Drive 500GB-7200r
Microsoft Windows 7 64 Bit

This is all on the invoice from the shop...I don't know what everything means but I have a bit of an idea. So my question is....what do I need for him to be able to play games like Fallout New Vegas, Arma II, Metro Last Light (these are a few of his latest purchases)
9 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about upgrade suggestions
  1. Hmmmm...

    caperheart said:
    Intel Core i5 Quad core i5-750 2.66 GHZ Processor

    Better change to i5 2500.
    caperheart said:
    Asus video card Radeon HD4350 512 MB PCIE2 D

    Absolutely must be changed to AT LEAST the HD 7870, to comfortably play games that you've mentioned AND more.
    caperheart said:
    Kingston 4GB (2x2GB) 1333MHZ DDR3 Non-Ecc ci

    I highly suggest changing to this or this.
    caperheart said:
    Asus P7H55-M Pro Desktop Board - Intel chipset ATX

    Change it to AT LEAST this.
    caperheart said:
    Cooler Master Elite RC-330 Case with 420 power

    Definitely change the PSU to this or this...about the case itself, well...I'd highly recommend changing to AT LEAST the HAF 922, but only if you can afford it.
    caperheart said:
    Western Digital Caviar SE16 Hard Drive 500GB-7200r
    .
    You can pretty much leave it...for now.
    caperheart said:
    Microsoft Windows 7 64 Bit

    Keep it, if it's "Professional" or "Ultimate". If it's just "Home Premium", upgrade it to any of the mentioned ("Ultimate" being the best one).
  2. master_chen said:
    Hmmmm...


    Better change to i5 2500.

    Absolutely must be changed to AT LEAST the HD 7870, to comfortably play games that you've mentioned AND more.

    I highly suggest changing to this or this.

    Change it to AT LEAST this.

    Definitely change the PSU to this or this...about the case itself, well...I'd highly recommend changing to AT LEAST the HAF 922, but only if you can afford it.
    .
    You can pretty much leave it...for now.

    Keep it, if it's "Professional" or "Ultimate". If it's just "Home Premium", upgrade it to any of the mentioned ("Ultimate" being the best one).

    All this isn't needed. Do you get provisions or something :lol:

    caperheart said:
    Hello,

    Hi,

    I thought I would just go out there with the information on our current family computer and ask for recommendations on a set of upgrades that will allow for better gaming for my son...

    Intel Core i5 Quad core i5-750 2.66 GHZ Processor
    Asus video card Radeon HD4350 512 MB PCIE2 D
    Kingston 4GB (2x2GB) 1333MHZ DDR3 Non-Ecc ci
    Asus P7H55-M Pro Desktop Board - Intel chipset ATX
    Coolermaster Elite RC-330 Case with 420 power
    Western Digital Caviar SE16 Hard Drive 500GB-7200r
    Microsoft Windows 7 64 Bit

    This is all on the invoice from the shop...I don't know what everything means but I have a bit of an idea. So my question is....what do I need for him to be able to play games like Fallout New Vegas, Arma II, Metro Last Light (these are a few of his latest purchases)


    Hello and hi to you too sir,

    first things first, I agree your PSU isn't great. You had better change that to a quality unit like Seasonic. After that, the most important component for gaming is the GPU - you didn't specify a budget but I'm sure your son would like a HD7850.

    I don't think a processor upgrade is obligatory at this point. More RAM probably wouldn't hurt. Try to find another 2x2 GB kit of matching RAM.

    A new OS also isn't needed, I have no idea why the other person thinks so. To recap, you need a new PSU and GPU, more RAM wouldn't hurt.
  3. FinneousPJ said:
    All this isn't needed.

    I've based my recommendation on the games she/he mentioned. If she/he can get what I've recommended, everything would run absolutely smoothly in those games.
    Maybe she/he could build a capable combination from even the weaker/cheaper components, but there won't much room for the extra in the case if new games come up.
    What I'm trying to say is, it's obvious that her/his son won't be playing mentioned games ONLY, he would probably play future titles too, and for that you need that extra and further-upgrade possibility, which my recommended changes pretty much provide.
  4. I don't necessarily disagree, but people usually come here to save money. Otherwise they could just walk into the store and buy whatever the clerk tells them at high dollar.
  5. FinneousPJ said:
    All this isn't needed. Do you get provisions or something :lol:


    Hello and hi to you too sir,

    first things first, I agree your PSU isn't great. You had better change that to a quality unit like Seasonic. After that, the most important component for gaming is the GPU - you didn't specify a budget but I'm sure your son would like a HD7850.

    I don't think a processor upgrade is obligatory at this point. More RAM probably wouldn't hurt. Try to find another 2x2 GB kit of matching RAM.

    A new OS also isn't needed, I have no idea why the other person thinks so. To recap, you need a new PSU and GPU, more RAM wouldn't hurt.



    This seems more within my financial limits....but the other reply certainly gives me ideas as to what to look for in our next computer. So, FinneousP, ideas on specs I should be looking at for the CPU, and GPU. Wondering about the different pin connectors, are there only certain GPU/CPU for use with an i5?


    Signed,

    A mom who is brave enough to pull the guts out of a computer
  6. Best answer
    caperheart said:
    This seems more within my financial limits....but the other reply certainly gives me ideas as to what to look for in our next computer. So, FinneousP, ideas on specs I should be looking at for the CPU, and GPU. Wondering about the different pin connectors, are there only certain GPU/CPU for use with an i5?


    Signed,

    A mom who is brave enough to pull the guts out of a computer

    For a new CPU you would really need a new motherboard, which is why I wouldn't recommend it yet as your CPU is still quite capable. Here's my suggestion anyway if you choose to do it:

    PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

    CPU: Intel Core i5-3450 3.1GHz Quad-Core Processor ($149.99 @ Microcenter)
    Motherboard: ASRock Z75 Pro3 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($84.99 @ Newegg)
    Memory: Crucial Ballistix sport 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1333 Memory ($34.99 @ Newegg)
    Video Card: HIS Radeon HD 7850 2GB Video Card ($209.99 @ Newegg)
    Power Supply: Antec 380W ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($31.45 @ Newegg)
    Total: $511.41
    (Prices include shipping and discounts when available.)
    (Generated by PCPartPicker 2012-08-25 17:22 EDT-0400)

    It seems to be easier to just grab a new 8 GB kit instead of adding another 4 GB, so I recommend you do that.

    If you don't want the new CPU/mobo yet (I actually recommend waiting on that), just grab the RAM, GPU and PSU. If you want to save more on the GPU look at 6850, 6870.
  7. FinneousPJ said:
    Buy whatever the clerk tells them, at high dollar.

    Which, of course, would be a big mistake.
    But I'm not the kind of a man that you're implying that I am by saying things like these.
    I would never recommend a useless overprice or low quality product: I always try to recommend things that are both quite affordable AND of a high quality, at the same time.
    Anyway, to each her/his own, I guess.
    I won't be arguing on that.
  8. Yes, I'm sorry I didn't mean to imply anything about your person.
  9. Best answer selected by caperheart.
Ask a new question

Read More

Homebuilt Systems Product