Sign in with
Your question

Comments on a new Build

Last response: in Systems
August 25, 2012 11:05:51 AM

Hi

My system today is about 7 years old and its time to make an upgrade. My thoughts is to get everything fresh and sell my old stuff. My goal is to have a great build that will run for some years and also very quiet. I wont buy a Graphics Card now because my point is not to play games at the beginning maby in the future il add a graphics card.

Please comment the parts I found so far, Im really stuck with the memory part.

Approximate Purchase Date: This Month

Budget Range: 1100 Euro

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Surfing, virtulization, movies (in future maby gaming).

Are you buying a monitor: No

Parts to Upgrade: Everything but a Graphic card.

Do you need to buy OS: No

Overclocking: Yes

SLI or Crossfire: Maybe in the future if i get time to play any games.

Parts I found so far:

Case: Fractal Design Define R4

Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme4

CPU: Intel Core i7 3770K 3,5Ghz Socket 1155 Box

CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D14

Memory: Dont know what to get, and what will fit with my Motherboard/Cpu Cooler. Atleast 16GB (2x8) or maby (4x4). (2x8) is best for future upgrade. As noticed I dont upgrade so often :/ 

SSD: Corsair Force Series GT 120GB

Storage: Seagate Barracuda Green ST2000DL003 64MB 2TB

PowerSupply: FSP Group Xilencer 500W Or Seasonic X-460FL 460W Or maby some other PSU with really low noice. Maby ~500W is to little?

/ Henrik

More about : comments build

August 25, 2012 1:40:12 PM

I'll make the standard comment. You don't NEED i7, unless you are likely to run software that can actually USE the 8 threads of i7. Examples would be: HD video editing with professional software, like Adobe CS6, or high end Autocad with 3D rendering. Otherwise i7 is really a bit of a waste of money. The same thing applies to RAM. 8GB is more than enough for virtually anything. If you are doing stuff that uses i7 (see above), then get 16GB. 2x8 has the advantage of giving scope for more, in the unlikely event that you might, but you need to check the QVL, for the mobo, to see exactly what RAMs are suitable.
Personally I'd prefer Samsung 830, or Crucial 4, for SSD.
With power supply, as you're not sure how you may upgrade, in the future, it's probably wise to go for 600/650W. Here Corsair IS a good choice.
a b U Graphics card
August 25, 2012 1:48:13 PM

1:just get the i5 3570k if you are not doing too much virtualization. its more than enough
2:id get the gigabyte z77x-ud3h board instead. a couple of more features
3:you dont need such a large cooler. a hyper 212 evo should do the trick. if you need all the silence you can get, then get the d14
4:id just get a set of 2x4gb 1600mhz cl9 1.5v ram. you dont need 16gb unless you are doing some serious editing or work
5:id get a samsung 830 128gb ssd instead. much better drive
6:id get something from xfx, corsair, seasonic. if you are going to do regular work, the 400w from seasonic should do it. if you are going to do SLI in the future, get a 650-750w
Related resources
August 25, 2012 3:15:54 PM

Thank you guys for your inputs.

Why I chosed a i7 3770K was because I thought that in the future (2-3) years maby more software/games used 8 threads.

How much will I be able to go with a hyper 212 evo in OC a i5/i7?

I will only virtualize 2 os in VMware/Virtualbox, dont know if that much or so.

Why i chosed the Corsair Force, was only because i read that it had great speed in both read and write ~500.

Can you guys recommend any PSU with 650W for me? Do I need Gold/Silver/Bronze?

Sorry alot of questions :/  it was 7 years since i did my last build so I have alot to catch up.
a b U Graphics card
August 25, 2012 5:03:00 PM

games just started to use 4 threads. it will take 5 for it to use 8. by then you should be changing the rig already

you can get 4.2ghz or up to 4.4 depending on the chip. i wouldnt go above 4.2ghz since raising voltages increases a lot of heat.

the rated specs are not accurate in most situations. the samsung is a better drive overall

first of all do you plan on putting a video card in the rig and what video card are you going to use. also, are you going to do SLI or crossfire in the future. then i would recommend a psu for you
August 25, 2012 5:17:31 PM

By all means, if you want performance "in hand", get i7. There are unlikely to be games, or basic software, that need it, in a 2-3 year time-frame. It's "professional" stuff that benefits from i7.
The Noctua is a powerful cooler, but it's a bit of a monster. You need to be very careful it's not going to impede other components (RAM, fans etc). I can't give you a figure for the evo. It won't allow quite as much overclocking, as the Noctua, but the difference will not be large.
With SSDs, speed is not only consideration. Samsung 830s have great reliability (Apple use them in Macbook Pro).
For PSU, Corsair HX take some beating. Go for the AX, if you want absolute top quality. As long as you get a good make, bronze or above, it will be adequate. Gold is just that bit better in performance, and stability.
a b U Graphics card
August 25, 2012 5:17:32 PM

apple doesnt use the 830 in their macbooks. samsung makes a different controller for that

!