Solution
The 6300 will do ok due to have 3 floating point units (FPU) instead of 2 like the 4xxx series. These new amd 'modules' don't have full processor cores you see. They have two units together that share some resources, such as the FPU all in one module. Other shared module resources include the L1 & L2 cache, Fetch module, decode module. To me the bad rep AMD got for this is in calling it a 4/6/8 core when really they are partial cores and should have named them 2/3/4 modules and avoided the 'core' confusion right from the get go which caused people to complain why it doesnt act like an intel - because its not. its like a much faster version of hyperthreading. When 1 side of a module is 'busy' the manager can dump some intructions onto...

popatim

Titan
I'd recommend the athlon2 x4 640. On newegg its $25 less than the 645 which is only 0.1ghz faster and not worth it.

The other choice in your budget is the fx4100. Its 0.6ghz faster but overall, imo, its performance is worse due to its internal architecture. Its also $30 more than the 640.

Generalcckid

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2011
do you think this athlon II 640 would bottleneck a gtx 550 ti? do you know by any chance? like is it good enough to run battlefield 3 on like medium 60 frames?

EDIT: i just found out this processor is bottlenecking my card a bit but i also noticed in the forum if i have a motherboard that can easily overclock like a program or in the bios like mine does: http://www.asrock.com/mb/NVIDIA/N68C-GS%20FX/index.us.asp it wont bottleneck.

is this true?

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
Any of these Athlons would be your best choice buying new: http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100007671+600005863+600039190&QksAutoSuggestion=&ShowDeactivatedMark=False&Configurator=&IsNodeId=1&Subcategory=343&description=&hisInDesc=&Ntk=&CFG=&SpeTabStoreType=&AdvancedSearch=1&srchInDesc=
Or, as popatim suggests, an FX 4100 since you have an AM3+ socket: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103996
Myself, I'd rather go with the Athlon II X4 645. It won't bottleneck the lowly GTX 550ti.

You may be able to find a good Phenom II X3 720 on ebay for a bit more oomph.

Generalcckid

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2011
ill have to look at those links when I go home. and I don't want a fx 4100 because ive heard too many bad reviews. my cooler btw is a cool master DK9-7E52A-0L-GP. Could I overclock .2 ghz with that?

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador

That cooler: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103087
...doesn't even look as substantial as the stock cooler that comes with the Athlon II X4s. I would advise against any O/Cing with it. Try to find a cooler with some heat pipes before pushing the processor. If cost is prohibitive, something like this can be had for $20 including shipping: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103064

Generalcckid

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2011
I finally came to adecisioamd amd fixed their bulldozer series processors with pile drivers. I'll be getting the fx 6300. Idk how a six core
Is better for gaming tho but its better than the fx 4300 in all benchmarks. Thought I'd mention fr any last minute tips on this.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
I've never worked with the NVIDIA GeForce chipset that is in your board. My AMD experience has always been with AMD's chipsets. The best results with Piledrivers is usually with the AMD 900 series chipsets. Probably what the systems in the reviews you saw were using. So keep in mind, your mileage may vary.

Generalcckid

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2011
I'll take that risk. IF if bf3 plays on low im fine with that. But I just found out the core clock is slower than the 4300. Does that mean the 4300 would be better for gaming than the lower stock six core?

freshtodeath

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2010
Phenom II 955 BE @ 3.4 you can take it up to 3.8 without touching the voltage. And it's cheap.
I had it before my new i5 and, as I've mentioned, OC'd to 3.8. Played BF3 with 560ti on high settings no problem. Never chopped.
I realize that you already mentioned that you don't want to switch to intel, but you have to realize that if you want a gaming processor, intel is the only way to go. Yes you pay more, but you get the power in return. Just get them when they are on sale.
And i3 will be better than any Athlon/Phenom cpus you'll find. It's up to you.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador

I don't know the answer to that one, but I'm pretty sure the difference won't be noticeable if there is one. Tom's ranks them in the same tier for gaming: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-cpu-review-overclock,3106-5.html
The greatest bottleneck you'll have with either processor will be your GTX 550ti. What resolution do you game at?

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador

You should get OK frame rates @ mid settings with either processor and your 550ti at 1600x900. I had that card in a budget i3-2100 and BF3 ran OK at 1680x1050 if I kept the settings reduced.

Generalcckid

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2011
i can live with that thanks for all the help. btw its not that i hate intel its just so costly and i need a new board too. and the phenom ii 955 is sold out but this processor will do good thanks.

oh btw did you say my graphics card would be bottlenecking now? wanna keep a note of that

popatim

Titan
The 6300 will do ok due to have 3 floating point units (FPU) instead of 2 like the 4xxx series. These new amd 'modules' don't have full processor cores you see. They have two units together that share some resources, such as the FPU all in one module. Other shared module resources include the L1 & L2 cache, Fetch module, decode module. To me the bad rep AMD got for this is in calling it a 4/6/8 core when really they are partial cores and should have named them 2/3/4 modules and avoided the 'core' confusion right from the get go which caused people to complain why it doesnt act like an intel - because its not. its like a much faster version of hyperthreading. When 1 side of a module is 'busy' the manager can dump some intructions onto the other half; much like intels HT fills in gaps in processing stream.

ps - you'll definitely want to pick up a good cooler and overclock this down the road. They do overclock nicely.

Solution