Will my new build run most high-end games( including Dayz)

tomprior6

Aug 25, 2012
Hi Guys, I'm planning on making a new build (my first build) and would just like to make sure it will play most high end games on the market at the moment, including Dayz at around 30+ FPS. Also any opinions on the build would be appreciated :).

AMD FX Bulldozer 8150 CPU
Arctic cooling Freezer 13 Pro
Asus sabretooth 990fx Motherboard
Sapphire Radeon HD6870 Graphics Card
Corsair Vengeance 8gb (2x4) RAM
Corsair Gaming Series 600W PSU
Seagate Barracuda 1tb

Solution
Any reason you prefer AMD solutions? or are you willing to go intel/Nvidia?

If yes, then swap out the Bulldozer for either an i5-2500k or and i5-3570k - they are arguably the best CPU's for gaming at the minute.

The 6870 is a good choice, but according to an article on this site (http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/gaming-graphics-card-review,review-32501-4.html) it ties with Nvidia's GTX 560.

I would personally go for the 560 as it offers CUDA and PhysX which you will find on many current titles. It also has slightly more overclocking headroom if you plan on doing so.

If the things mentioned above have no interest to you, then go with the cheapest one of the two.

Gallarian

Distinguished
Any reason you prefer AMD solutions? or are you willing to go intel/Nvidia?

If yes, then swap out the Bulldozer for either an i5-2500k or and i5-3570k - they are arguably the best CPU's for gaming at the minute.

The 6870 is a good choice, but according to an article on this site (http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/gaming-graphics-card-review,review-32501-4.html) it ties with Nvidia's GTX 560.

I would personally go for the 560 as it offers CUDA and PhysX which you will find on many current titles. It also has slightly more overclocking headroom if you plan on doing so.

If the things mentioned above have no interest to you, then go with the cheapest one of the two.

Solution

Inductor

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2012
Also look at this guy's videos. He is using the same card and has the video settings at the normal level. I know because he tweaks his video settings during game play :D.

You would need a better card to run everything on the highest settings.

tomprior6

Aug 25, 2012
To be honest, i have thought about going intel and have looked at the 560 but after looking at reviews I was stuck between the i5 3570k and the Bulldozer 8150 but eventually decided on the 8150.

I do also have another build option using the i5 3570k and the 560 at around the same price but wasn't sure as I will not be doing any overclocking.

Thanks alot for the feedback though! and i will consider the intel option if it will run better :D.

Gallarian

Distinguished
Day-Z is a bit of a pain to run well because its an ARMA II mod - a game known to be rather poorly optimised.

You'll find even top end cards (7970, 680) can have trouble with the game. It depends on where you are in-game, and how many people are in your server.

The article I linked before shows you the best cards for the price, so really your not going to find a better card than a 6870/560 for the same price.

So if youre looking for a more powerful card, youre gunna have bump your budget up a little.

tomprior6

Aug 25, 2012
Could you suggest a card thats below £200? I have been looking around for the best possible card in that price range. I'm buying all the other components from amazon, so hopefully it will be sold on there. I could possibly spend slightly more on the graphics card if I get a slightly cheaper Motherboard.

Thanks for all the help you have given so far.:D

Gallarian

Distinguished

I really would advise going with intel - this is a post comparing the Bulldozer and i5-2500k on these forums and just look at the overwhelming amount of responses from very high ranking members in favour on the i5.

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/320166-10-bulldozer-8120-intel-core-2500k

tomprior6

Aug 25, 2012
I can see where your coming for but the trouble im having now is getting the right balance in price with the CPU, Motherboard and graphics card. I am aiming at around £750-£800 and with the 7850 I may have to get a cheaper CPU and/or Motherboard. I just need to find the right balance. My current price without CPU, Mobo and Graphics card is £410. Do you know any combination that would bring it to around £750?

Many Thanks.

Inductor

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2012
If you want to run games like ARMA II on the highest settings, focus on getting the best CPU possible. You CAN use as many cores as you may have, even more than 4, but you have tweak the game. ARMA II is not GPU hungry, it is CPU hungry, a lot.

Most people will tell you the game is poorly optimized, which might or might not be true. You have to consider that this is a simulator. The engine is doing so many things at the same time. Even the best optimized Sim will run poorly if you don't have a high end desktop.

Gallarian

Distinguished

No, they wont.

and as I and others have already said; i5-3570k