Possible Bottleneck?

EricPCNoob

Honorable
Apr 6, 2012
So I have been looking for a reason to go out and upgrade my CPU to the i5 3570k, and have started trying to find bottlenecks. More specifically, that my CPU (AMD Athlon 2 220 @ 2.8ghz) is bottlenecking my GPU (EVGA gtx 550ti). I was looking at another thread about another guy trying to find his bottleneck, and someone commented saying to play a game that you play often with task manager open, and monitor the CPU usage. And thats what I did.

In Fallout New Vegas, I monitored it and it stayed between 80-85% CPU usage while I am sneaking around enemy camps. In combat, 85-90% CPU usage.

In Minecraft, It randomly jumped from 75-100%! Wow. While just moving I got a pretty stable 95%. While mining or anything like that it jumps up.

In Skyrim, just walking through the random wilderness near Falkreath, I got 90% standing still and 98-100% moving! Wow I think we have a bottleneck! Right! Right?

I also Fallout 3, Call of Duty and other assorted indie / F2P games.

Is this a bottleneck? Or is this a good balance? Also, if I get the new CPU (Intel i5 3570k Hopefully OC to 4.0ghz) will that bottleneck my GPU?

I really want to know this so that I know that if I do go buy the CPU, It wont just be a waste of money. Also, how big of a performance upgrade will I have with the new CPU? I do plan on getting more modern games, like planetside 2. ATM its unplayable, too much lag. Will a new CPU fix that?

Thank you for reading this, and please respond. I can monitor other games CPU usage or maybe a free benchmark.

PC Specs-

nVidia EVGA 550ti
AMD Athlon 2 220 2.8ghz
8gb Ram
1Tb harddrive 7200RPM
500w PSU

EricPCNoob

Honorable
Apr 6, 2012
Okay. I know its cheaper, but how is it better than Intel? I saw a 99$ one on newegg with good reviews. Is it easy to overclock? Is it reliable? One of the reasons that I want teh new CPU is for the new mobo. I want x2 PCie 3.0 x16 slots for hopefully crossfire 2 670's, and will this CPU bottleneck that?