Sign in with
Your question

HTPC Core i3 Build - Feedback welcome

Last response: in Systems
August 25, 2012 1:29:48 PM

I have been poking around the web for a couple hours and compiled this hardware list, based on availability in local suppliers and my requirements (basically a quiet HTPC with HDMI & SPDIF output).

Case: Cooler Master Silencio 550 Midi Tower, black
MB: Asus P8Z77-M PRO, Z77, LGA1155, PCI-E 3.0, SLI/CFX, mATX
CPU: Intel Core i3 2120T BOX, 2.5GHz, LGA 1155, 2C/4T, 35W TDP
RAM: Kingston Hyper Blu, 2x4GB, DDR3-1333, CL9-9-9-27@1.5V
PSU: Seasonic X-460 Gold Modular Fanless - 460 Watt
HDD: SSD for system (got a spare one) and for storage: Western Digital Caviar Green, 64MB, 3TB, SATA-3

The only potential issue here is the RAM that is not listed in the ASUS compatibility list, but none of the stuff available for delivery around me is in their list, so I hope it's alright to take chances on that front.

Any feedback welcome, especially regarding the RAM issue, but also if you spot another blatant mistake. Thanks!
August 25, 2012 1:45:37 PM

Not seeing any issues other than you might be over-spending on the motherboard and case. However, if you have your reasons for going with those options, so be it.

The RAM shouldn't be an issue. There are literally hundreds (if not thousands) of various RAM configurations and ASUS isn't going to spend all that time and money to test each possible config. The RAM Compatibility list is just a listing of configurations they were able to test. As long as the RAM you select is similar in configuration, speed, and voltage as something that is on the list, you should be fine.

-Wolf sends
August 25, 2012 1:47:10 PM

seldaek said:
I have been poking around the web for a couple hours and compiled this hardware list, based on availability in local suppliers and my requirements (basically a quiet HTPC with HDMI & SPDIF output).

HDD: SSD for system (got a spare one) and for storage: Western Digital Caviar Green, 64MB, 3TB, SATA-3

The only potential issue here is the RAM that is not listed in the ASUS compatibility list, but none of the stuff available for delivery around me is in their list, so I hope it's alright to take chances on that front.

Any feedback welcome, especially regarding the RAM issue, but also if you spot another blatant mistake. Thanks!

These Corsairs are compatible with your MOBO as per ASUS:

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E1682...
Related resources
August 25, 2012 1:48:31 PM

seldaek said:

You can also just get a regular Core i3 2120 without the T, the TDP may seem like a big difference, but under typical loads for a HTPC, it will amount to very little in difference. The regular non-T 2120 also runs cool.
August 25, 2012 2:07:29 PM

@Wolfshadw: Regarding over-paying, well the thing is I want to be sure there is enough room in the case and enough SATA slots on the motherboard for future proofing. The price difference with low end stuff isn't so huge so I think it's alright.

@maxx_power: Thanks for the RAM hint, a couple bucks more expensive but it's probably worth the peace of mind. As for the CPU, the regular 2120 is more or less the same price but isn't in stock, I'll check other stores but I guess the difference between the two is almost irrelevant in most regards.
August 25, 2012 5:30:26 PM

seldaek said:
@Wolfshadw: Regarding over-paying, well the thing is I want to be sure there is enough room in the case and enough SATA slots on the motherboard for future proofing. The price difference with low end stuff isn't so huge so I think it's alright.

@maxx_power: Thanks for the RAM hint, a couple bucks more expensive but it's probably worth the peace of mind. As for the CPU, the regular 2120 is more or less the same price but isn't in stock, I'll check other stores but I guess the difference between the two is almost irrelevant in most regards.

Sounds good. Then enjoy your new HTPC (whenever you get it build).
!