xsamdagreatx

Honorable
Dec 29, 2012
Can a psu ruin your computer? in other words if the psu fails or if you have a bad psu can it damage other components of the computer or does it just stop working in worst case scenario.

Solution
There is a difference, AMD recommends at least 500W for that card but the Corsair CX430 should be able to handle the card (which only draws about 8A from the 12V rail) . The CX430 has 32A available to the 12V rail or minimum 23A if all the other rails are fully loaded (never gonna happen)
In a worst case scenario a poorly designed power supply has the potential destroy all components it is attached to. That would be rare but it is a possibility. I will look for a reference article I saw in the past.
A quality PSU, even if bad/going bad should not be able to damage all components downstream due to built in safeties
Hope it helps

weaselman

Honorable
Oct 27, 2012
Lets talk about power supply units.
People tend to buy expensive well known brands of power supply units to put in there Pc.
because they contain so many power protection features, In case the power supply decides after a long time of use to throw a fit. so when it blows it normally ends up being just the PSU you have to replace.
However, if you have a cheap unbranded power supply it is likely the power protection features are missing to keep the cost down of making the power supply unit.

This is the point where it is likely if the thing blows it takes other things out inside the pc, and other hardware due to Over voltage, or spikes ect from the Psu.

The lesson is don`t buy a cheap PSU, no matter how tempting it may be. It hardly ever pays in the long run.

xsamdagreatx

Honorable
Dec 29, 2012
thank you for all the advice so is there any power supply that you guys might suggest that have this power protection features (not so expensive).

PS: i have a 2 tb HDD, and a decent motherboard, a i7 , and a 7750. so i think around 600 watts is fine?

Edit : the power supply i have now have no name on it what so ever so i am kind of scared that if it crashes some day i might loose my entire computer.

If you overclock your CPU and Graphics Card, you're still looking at less than 350W total system draw. You want to stay in the 30%-75% draw range of the PSU. You can use this calculator to figure your system usage http://www.extreme.outervision.com/psucalculatorlite.jsp the other thing I will suggest here is to check the reviews from legitimate reviewers found here http://www.realhardtechx.com/index_archivos/Page541.htm for whatever PSU you like - if you can't find a good review there for it, you may just want to consider a different PSU

xsamdagreatx

Honorable
Dec 29, 2012
OK thank you so the Corsair you recommended will do the job, and being a good brand i believe it will have the circuit protections required to prevent it from damaging my other components in case it fails one day.

xsamdagreatx

Honorable
Dec 29, 2012
ok thanks C12Friedman for the information i compared the Cool master and the corsair together , protection wise the cool master has more (protection for OVP/UVP/OTP/OPP/SCP) and come with a 2 year limited warranty. for the corsair it has (Over-voltage and over-power protection, under-voltage protection, and short circuit protection provide maximum safety to your critical system components) and it is bronze certified i guess that means it has a better quality, also it comes with a 3 year limited warranty. so i am kind of between the two here. if any body could give me an opinion to help decide that would be great. thank you so much for your time.

P.S: The psu i have now is noisy i feel like it is a ticking bomb but well i still have a 30 day no questions asked return warranty on this computer.

The CoolerMaster unit is made by a rather infamous manufacturer, Seventeam - I can't recommend it. The Corsair on the other hand is made by Channel Well and is a rather popular entry level PSU - I'd prefer to see the SeaSonic (designed and made by SeaSonic) given the choice but the Corsair should perform well.

xsamdagreatx

Honorable
Dec 29, 2012
thank you so the corsair it is, seasonic are really nice but they are expensive. this computer already broke the bank and i still have to buy two other 120 mm fans for it because the ones that came with the case are noisy. Thank you for all your help guys.

Yes - the cx430 will run a 7750 comfortably.

Tom

There is a difference, AMD recommends at least 500W for that card but the Corsair CX430 should be able to handle the card (which only draws about 8A from the 12V rail) . The CX430 has 32A available to the 12V rail or minimum 23A if all the other rails are fully loaded (never gonna happen)

Solution