$1750 Gaming Rig - Need advice!

Shmokey

Honorable
Aug 25, 2012
Hey, guys :hello:

First post here. I come to you seeking a bit of advice and/or input on a system I will be putting together next month.

Approximate Purchase Date: Around September 22

Budget Range: $1750 total after rebates, tax, and shipping.

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Mostly just gaming and web browsing.

Parts Not Required: Keyboard, monitor, speakers, OS, AS5.

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Really open to anything, however, I'm used to Newegg, NCIX, and Tigerdirect.

Parts Preferences: I would prefer an Intel CPU and Nvidia GPU.

Overclocking: Yes

SLI or Crossfire: I had not planned on it, although I am open to anything within budget.

Monitor Resolution: 1920x1080

Additional Comments: I have put together THIS list so far. I didn't feel like putting each fan in separately, so I was considering 5 of the Xigmateks (@ $9.99 ea.) Any input would be helpful. I am basically looking for a rig that will run curret/upcoming games (BF3, DayZ, Far Cry 3, etc.) at a decent frame rate @1920x1080.

Thanks in advance, gents!

DeusAres

Distinguished
Here ya go...

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($189.99 @ Microcenter)
CPU Cooler: Corsair H100 92.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($99.99 @ CompUSA)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD3H ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($149.98 @ NCIX US)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($84.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Black 1.5TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($128.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Storage: Samsung 830 Series 256GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($189.00 @ B&H)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 670 2GB Video Card ($407.98 @ Amazon)
Case: Corsair Vengeance C70 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($99.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair 750W ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($136.98 @ Newegg)
Mouse: Logitech G9x Wired Laser Mouse ($62.83 @ Amazon)
Total: $1550.72
(Prices include shipping and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2012-08-25 10:37 EDT-0400)

I made a few subtle changes to help better the build and save some money. The gtx 670 is basically the same thing as a gtx 680. The gtx 680 is only around 5% faster. I don't believe the $100 premium is worth it. I'd recommend putting that towards a larger SSD or a second gtx 670.

As for the RAM, there's no need for "overclocked" RAM such as 1866MHz. You won't notice any difference with it from 1600MHz.

There's also no need for a $200+ motherboard. The ASRock z77 Extreme4 or the Gigabyte board I recommended has the same exact features as the Sabertooth. The sabertooth board is just given a fancy name and "thermal armor". It's not worth the price premium. However, you're more than welcome to get it if you want.

If you want to save even more money, the Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo CPU cooler will work just fine for mild-moderate overclocks.

One more thing, a 750 watt PSU will be more than enough power. It'll allow you to safely do SLI or Crossfire in the future if you so wish.

If you have anymore questions, feel free to ask.

Shmokey

Honorable
Aug 25, 2012

That atually looks pretty good. I'll be honest, I only chose the Sabertooth for its looks.

Since you recommended the 670, I've been toying around with trying to fit two of them into the budget. My only experience with SLI was back when it first came out. It wasn't very enjoyable. Also, if I decide on a single 670, would you recommend the "FTW" edition from EVGA? Is it simply factory overclocked? If so, I feel like I could get a reference card and OC it myself.

The reason I chose the H100 was that I didn't want to mess with memory space issues.

Is there a major difference between teh AX and HX models of the Corsair PSUs?

Also, to Redeemer. I see you have a 3570k with an H100, yet you recommend the 212 EVO. Do you not like your H100?

redeemer

Distinguished
AX PSU models are gold rated higher efficiency and have hybrid can control. An H100 cost much more money you most probably will want to replace the stock fans since they are too loud. I bought 4 AP-15s+H100=$180, now granted I can get a stable clock of 4.8Ghz if I wanted too but you decide if thats for you. An Hyper Evo can get you 4.3-4.4Ghz comfortably fr $30, but yes the benefit of having a waterblock is no memory height issues.

DeusAres

Distinguished

I recommend you get the FTW edition of the gtx 670. Not only is it factory overclocked, it offers much better cooling than the reference card.

The AX and HX are simply separated by their minute difference in efficiency. You won't notice a difference. The HX750 gets the job done for quite a bit less. The HX750 is actually getting an upgrade. It's supposed to be redistributed so that it is actually rated as a 80+ gold PSU. So it's basically similar in performance to that of the AX model.