Sign in with
Your question

Building new pc, not sure what power supply to get?

Tags:
  • New Build
  • Power Supplies
  • Systems
Last response: in Systems
August 25, 2012 3:17:01 PM

I'm planning on building a PC, but i'm not sure what wattage of a power supply i should get.

Here are my specs:

-Cooler Master Elite 371 Full Tower
-Gigabyte H61M-DS2H LGA 1155 Motherboard (i'm still not sure about this motherboard)
-GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 560 1GB GDDR5 PCI-E Video Card
-Kingston ValueRAM 4GB DDR3 1333MHz Desktop Memory
-Intel Celeron G530 Sandy Bridge 2.4GHz LGA 1155 65W Dual-Core Desktop Processor

I already have an optical drive and a 320 gb hard drive salvaged from another computer, but what power supply should i get? Also would the processor be able to support the video card well enough?

More about : building power supply

a b ) Power supply
August 25, 2012 3:23:15 PM

i wld go for a 500w psu. look at corsair...
m
l
Related resources
August 25, 2012 3:37:51 PM

The minimum power requirement for the GTX 560 is 450W. Try to always have enough headroom when buying power supplies. I would recommend a 600/650W

Not enough power can cause serious problems, like your card turning off etc...

As for your GTX560 look at this page http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-pc-do-it-you...

I personally would recommend at least any quad core. I think it WOULD bottleneck your card a bit. You can find more info on CPUs limiting cards here

http://www.overclock.net/t/953305/how-does-a-cpu-bottle...
m
l
August 25, 2012 3:41:14 PM

If i used a 500w, would that be fine?
m
l
a b ) Power supply
August 25, 2012 3:44:33 PM

Inductor said:
The minimum power requirement for the GTX 560 is 450W. Try to always have enough headroom when buying power supplies. I would recommend a 600/650W

Not enough power can cause serious problems, like your card turning off etc...

As for your GTX560 look at this page http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-pc-do-it-you...

I personally would recommend at least any quad core. I think it WOULD bottleneck your card a bit. You can find more info on CPUs limiting cards here

http://www.overclock.net/t/953305/how-does-a-cpu-bottle...

That's ridiculous, the OP's build won't break 300W.
m
l
August 25, 2012 3:49:38 PM

When it comes to power supplies, why not choose more?

Look at this links

460W
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=E...

600W
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=E...

You can buy a 600W power supply at the same price you would buy a 460W. Why choose the lower wattage, unless you are trying to save electricity?

I would never recommend buying just enough of a power supply. That is what the stores sell, so it defeats the purpose of building one yourself.
m
l
a c 129 ) Power supply
August 25, 2012 3:57:21 PM

Graphics card manufacturers overstate requirements in the often vain attempt to account for all the liar-labeled junk out there (e.g. Apevia, Logisys, Diablotek, CM). If you get an 80+ certified unit, you can be sure it was run up to 100% of its label, and not only did it not die, it remained efficient. They test at only 23C, and PSUs derate with temperature, but if it was near its limit, efficiency would be suffering.
My own systems run Antec or Seasonic. Corsair, Enermax/LEPA, XFX, and new FSP and Rosewill are also good. For your system, 450W-500W would be a good size.

Edit: Other than Antec's VP-450, avoid any PSU with a little voltage switch; as a rule (the VP-450 is the proving exception), this indicates an obsolete, inefficient, and typically overrated design. Other than "Enermax," if "max" appears in the name (e.g. Coolmax, Raidmax), it is a reference to the number and/or cost of the components it will take with it when it dies.

m
l
a c 129 ) Power supply
August 25, 2012 4:05:51 PM

See my post above. Seasonic (or anything built by them), Antec, Corsair, XFX, Enermax/LEPA, and NEW (not old) FSP and Rosewill are probably the only brands I'd consider. All the systems I've built in the past few years run Antec or Seasonic; I have never had one fail.

Edit: I see you switched from Coolmax to Antec. Yes, the VP-450 is a good PSU. It has received favorable competent technical reviews. It is efficient enough for 80+, but is disqualified for not having active PFC (the telltale is the voltage switch).
m
l
August 25, 2012 4:07:59 PM

So would the antec vp-450 be a good choice?
m
l
August 25, 2012 4:10:43 PM

If you plan to upgrade, you should purchase at least the 600W. More power is best in regards to upgrading and being on the safe side :) 
m
l
a c 129 ) Power supply
August 25, 2012 4:13:35 PM

If you know you're going to upgrade, it does make sense to buy one "large enough" PSU now, rather than having to replace a small one later. Consider what your upgrade will likely entail. A quality 500W-600W PSU should be sufficient for any single-GPU graphics card out there; 600W-650W would provide plenty of headroom.

m
l
a b ) Power supply
August 25, 2012 4:31:41 PM

If you want a superb PSU that's "future proof" I recommend Seasonic 520W.
m
l
August 25, 2012 4:58:53 PM

Is the Cooler Master Extreme 500 Watt Power Supply a good psu?
m
l
a b ) Power supply
August 25, 2012 5:12:47 PM

No, it is not.
m
l
a c 129 ) Power supply
August 25, 2012 7:12:44 PM

CM PSUs are generally just a step above junk. Even the 80+ GX650 was summarized by HardOCP as "a polished turd in a box." Many possess liar labels, which is willful dishonesty, placing anything from the company, no matter how good, on my "Do Not Buy" list, since I choose to not support dishonesty.
m
l
August 25, 2012 7:31:54 PM

I give you my honest answer. I have had many computers for minimum use that came or were fitted with a cooler master power supply, even fans and cases.

In all that time I had one power supply fail right out of the box. It was a Cooler Master and I was very disappointed.

If you read reviews and try them yourself, you will realize that no component no matter the brand, is exempt from failure.

So you could buy that Cooler Master and it could work for as long as a decade possibly and buy a Corsair and have it fail in 2 days. It might very well happen the other way around. The thing to do is always buy from the most reliable of the bunch.

Corsair happens to be more trusted than Cooler Master. But they are also a brand name that works with practically the same exact technologies for providing power into your system as Cooler Master does and every other company out there.
m
l
a c 129 ) Power supply
August 26, 2012 1:58:20 AM

Yes, anything can fail. However, in an engineering analysis of the components used in a quality PSU, assuming the individual components are not defective (which, as you say, can happen), the PSU should be able to output what's on the label, often more. In an engineering analysis of a junk PSU (including some CM), you will see that not even on the best of days will the components that were chosen be able to output what's on the label. The circuits in the junk may not even include components that the better units have (such as filters, control ICs, etc), or, such as in the case of some CM units, the space for the components may be there, (and their function claimed on the marketing material), but the component will have been omitted (such as OCP on some units).
m
l
August 26, 2012 2:30:01 AM

If EliteHobos wants to purchase a Cooler Master, that is his call.

I do however agree seeing things like this http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/Cooler-Master-El... are really bad signs.

The thing is most people don't care what's inside an item as long as it works. For instance those who buy at mainstream stores, half of them probably think Windows 7 is what's inside their tower.
m
l
a c 129 ) Power supply
August 26, 2012 2:36:11 AM

Yes, that's why all CM products are off my radar. Their cases could be mithril and I won't buy one.
m
l
!