Sign in with
Your question

Radeon 7950 vs 670 for both general purpose/graphics/video/work/gamin

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
July 6, 2012 9:40:03 PM

Hi Everyone.,

I have read quite a few discussions on this board in regards to the 7950 and the 670 performance and which is better. Most of the threads here and else-ware focus mainly on gaming and not other graphical performance.

However I am curious to know which card is considered the better buy overall between the 7950 and the 670 for general purpose computing (including Photoshop, Audio Production, Video Editing, Sound Recording etc) as well as gaming (looking at both aspects equally)?

I do about 50/50 work and play, and I am getting into video editing. As far as gaming goes I played SWTOR, free AOC, EVE, CIV 5, Tera, and I would love to play Guild Wars 2 and Secret World at the higher settings. Besides that I mainly play a little bit older games I purchased off Steam such as Red Alert, Shogun, Rome Total War, SupCom, Neverwinter Nights, and indie games. This should give you some idea of what type of games I play.

My work consists of using:
Photoshop
Catia
Sony Vegas Pro 11
Reason
Adobe After Effects
Adobe Premiere
and watching/editing video.

I'm actually putting together a new desktop right now and will be using a 3.5GHz 3770K I7 Quad core processor running either on an Intel board, the Asus V-Pro maybe or a Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UDH5-WB Ivy Bridge board or something else. I have not decided but will purchase within the next few days. (any recommendations?).

I keep reading that for general purpose computing the 7900 series are better. It seems that at higher resolutions and multiple monitors and for general purpose c
Looking at doing both work and play lets say for the next 2 years would it make more sense to get the 7950 or go with an Nvidia 670 alternative or just wait for the next part?

So what do you think...
a c 91 U Graphics card
July 6, 2012 10:07:40 PM

while for general purpose computing the 7900 series is better, this is only for raw computing. as of now, Nvidia's CUDA is better supported as a means of GPU acceleration of many video/image editing software (unless you have Adobe CS6, in which case Nvidia and AMD are about equal).

thus, I would go with Nvidia's gtx670. you get the 7900 series to run your own scripts in Matlab or for bitmining of folding :) 
m
l
July 8, 2012 6:01:54 PM

Do you think the next years will be the end of CUDA and the new age of a free platform OPENCL....
m
l
Related resources
a c 291 U Graphics card
July 8, 2012 6:41:52 PM

I don't think so. CUDA has advantages over OpenCL.
m
l
a c 91 U Graphics card
July 8, 2012 6:54:01 PM

no. CUDA's a great plateform. Nvidia just needs to stop skimping out on compute components in their general consumer video cards
m
l
!