Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Is this a good case?

Last response: in Components
January 9, 2013 1:24:29 AM

Hey everyone,

I have a few questions about the build I am about to do. I am planning on using the Cooler Master Elite 431 Mid-Tower Gaming Case and the Thermaltake Frio fan for my CPU (i5 3570k). My friend was concerned that the case may be too small for my fan. Is this true?

My other concern is that the case is "hard to fiddle with when it comes to wiring". He had had this case and said that it wasn't easy to work with. I am asking this forum for their opinions because I don't know if this was just from his personal experience, it is the truth, or that he is just bad at wiring.

Thanks

More about : good case

January 9, 2013 2:34:09 AM

It's a good low end case. I've used several variations of the Elite for budget builds. My biggest complaint is that there is no cable management to speak of. Almost no room behind the MB backplate. But it has good ventilation and should allow for decent heat dissipation.

The specs state that the cooler is 139mm (~5.5") at its widest dimension, which would be its height from the CPU on the board. The case is 7.55" wide. Guessing that you'll loose an inch+ from the back of the case to the mtg position on the CPU, that still leaves you with about an inch to spare.
m
l
January 9, 2013 8:16:15 PM

I have 3 cases to choose from. Thermaltake Commander mid, the one I posted, or the Raidmax Viper mid. Which is the best. (I am having a guy that's a professional with computers do the wiring for me to maximize ventilation throughout the machine.
m
l
Related resources
January 9, 2013 8:29:52 PM

Oh and one more option, the Apevia X-Trooper LED Light Mid-Tower Case .
m
l
January 9, 2013 9:04:10 PM

If you're not doing the build yourself, then you really don't need to worry about cable management; that will be his problem. All three case have the same lack of room behind the MB tray, so cable management will be trickier. The Raidmax is the only one with replaceable expansion port covers, if that matters to you. The others have break-out/throw away covers. If you want to close back up an expansion port, you'll have to buy some covers separately. No big deal, tho.

The Raidmax is the narrowest case if the three, so the depth for the cooler gets tighter. The Thermaltake is the widest of the three @ 7.9". I have built with Thermaltake V3 cases which are similar. They were as good (or bad) as the Cooler Master. If you are going to use a large cooler, I would put the Raidmax at the end of my choices unless you can fit test to be sure it fits. Probably put the Thermaltake first by a small margin.

I'm not a fan of doors on cases (Raidmax), but that is a personal choice. The Raidmax is the only case that comes with front and rear fans. The other two only have a single fan. You'll want to add a front and/or rear for proper cooling if you opt for the other cases.

I see all three cases have USB 3.0 ports on them.... The Thermaltake has a conventional USB cable connecting the port, which means you will have to pass it through the back of the case and plug it into one of the ports on the MB. The other 2 cases have a 20 pin connector to plug into a MB header if your MB comes equipped with one. May I ask which MB you were going to choose?
m
l
January 9, 2013 9:17:11 PM

Thanks for all the help this far, the MB is the ASUS P8Z77-V LK Intel Z77 Chipset DDR3 ATX Mainboard w/ IRST, Lucid Virtu MVP, 7.1 HD Audio, GbLAN, 3x PCIe x16 (2 Gen3, 1 Gen2), 2 PCie x1 & 2 PCI
m
l
January 9, 2013 9:17:30 PM

AlexS34 said:
Oh and one more option, the Apevia X-Trooper LED Light Mid-Tower Case .

The Apevia is about the same as the others in room behind the MB tray. And has break-out ex. slot covers. It has front and rear fans, so that's a positive. No USB3.0 if that matters. All 4 cases are built from the same basic chassis. Any of the 4 would make a nice looking budget/mid system.

Note: the Thermaltake has a slight bulge in the back cover. That will help the builder with wire management a tad. If I were building and all else was equal, I would opt for the Thermaltake by a tiny margin and add a lighted front fan of my color choice.
m
l
January 9, 2013 9:20:46 PM

AlexS34 said:
Thanks for all the help this far, the MB is the ASUS P8Z77-V LK Intel Z77 Chipset DDR3 ATX Mainboard w/ IRST, Lucid Virtu MVP, 7.1 HD Audio, GbLAN, 3x PCIe x16 (2 Gen3, 1 Gen2), 2 PCie x1 & 2 PCI

OK. That board has a USB3.0 20 pin header. So I would pick a case with the matching 20 pin connector if you want your USB3.0 port(s) to work on the front of the case.

Have you seen these cases and the motherboard? Checked them out at their website or Newegg's website?
m
l
January 9, 2013 9:25:06 PM

Truth be told, I am buying this computer from CyberPower, but I have chosen all of the parts by myself. I don't have the time or energy to build the PC on my own, and I said a friend was doing it because I know how people jump down your throat about not building PCs on your own.
I would like to go with the Apevia, and I have purchased the professional wiring service as well as 120mm fans for all sides. I would imagine that if they offer it, then it will all work together. I was posting here for confirmation and luckily you helped me with this rather than someone else.
m
l
January 9, 2013 9:33:31 PM

Not a problem buying a prebuilt. In fact folks buy my builds I've done. So I guess I provide prebuilts too. ;) 
If you are getting it from Cyberpower, wouldn't they install the cooler and know if it fits? Or are you planning on adding it yourself later?
m
l
January 9, 2013 9:37:40 PM

They are, my buds just told me to check on this forum first so that the people that are experts can help me out a bit. I have also read one review of someone buying the PC, then CyberPower emailing them saying that the part doesn't fit in the case they ordered, so I want to be sure.
m
l
January 9, 2013 9:42:37 PM

AlexS34 said:
Here is the link to the whole thing if that helps you out: http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/saved/1ERR33

Looks nice. How does that work? I've never bought from them. Do they assemble for you and ship ready to use? The last pre-built I bought was from Velocity Micro.

Have you looked at the Cooler Master HAF 912 case version. Same price, if I read it right. Bigger, better quality case than the others. But no USB3.0. Same case I am using.
http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/system/CyberPower_ASUS_Z77_...
m
l
January 9, 2013 10:09:56 PM

Yeah they build it for you and ship it. However if they find that a part doesn't fit, they will tell you and have you change the part out. I did consider the HAF 912, but the pictures of it don't do it justice in physical appearance. Does it look nice in person?
m
l

Best solution

January 9, 2013 10:54:51 PM

AlexS34 said:
Yeah they build it for you and ship it. However if they find that a part doesn't fit, they will tell you and have you change the part out. I did consider the HAF 912, but the pictures of it don't do it justice in physical appearance. Does it look nice in person?

Appearance is in the eye of the beholder. If you are the type that goes for bling, no. The case is more subdued. But If you are a builder or plan on upgrading your machine, the 912 has much more room and plenty of air flow. (The HAF stands for High Air Flow). If you are still undecided on the case, do a search for the Cooler Master HAF 912 and check it out.

Whichever you choose, enjoy your new machine and check back if you have any more questions or just want to talk PCs.
January 9, 2013 11:07:29 PM

Thanks for the help man, I think I will go for the case because I am in to the heavy-duty ***. I like the case being big and having depth, just that kind of guy. Again, thanks for the help.
m
l
January 9, 2013 11:07:41 PM

Best answer selected by AlexS34.
m
l
!