Sign in with
Your question

Display Driver AMD has Stopped Working and Recovered

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
July 6, 2012 10:02:16 PM

Hey everyone, first post on this forum for me.

I was wondering if you could help me, i keep getting the error message "Display Driver AMD has Stopped Working and Recovered", just before this the screen freezes for 1-2 seconds then blacks and finally resumes but with this error message.

I am running:

Intel i3 Clarkdale CPU
ATI Radeon HD 5800 series Graphics card
Intel H61(Socket 1155) PCI-Express DDR3 Motherboard

I read online that it could be something to do with overheating so i cleaned out the inside and turned the fans up to max but the issue still occurs (now 30 degrees idle).

Im not a computer expert by any stretch of the imagination and im not sure how comfortable i would feel in taking the machine apart to try and fix this problem.

So my question is, can this be solved by myself or do you think its best to just take it into a local computer shop and explain my problem to see of they have any ideas?

Thanks in Advance
July 6, 2012 10:18:19 PM

Have you updated to the latest AMD driver? It should be 12.6.
July 6, 2012 10:21:40 PM

Yeah, update your drivers.
July 6, 2012 10:25:38 PM

Leighton591 said:
Hey everyone, first post on this forum for me.

I was wondering if you could help me, i keep getting the error message "Display Driver AMD has Stopped Working and Recovered", just before this the screen freezes for 1-2 seconds then blacks and finally resumes but with this error message.

I am running:

Intel i3 Clarkdale CPU
ATI Radeon HD 5800 series Graphics card
Intel H61(Socket 1155) PCI-Express DDR3 Motherboard

I read online that it could be something to do with overheating so i cleaned out the inside and turned the fans up to max but the issue still occurs (now 30 degrees idle).

Im not a computer expert by any stretch of the imagination and im not sure how comfortable i would feel in taking the machine apart to try and fix this problem.

So my question is, can this be solved by myself or do you think its best to just take it into a local computer shop and explain my problem to see of they have any ideas?

Thanks in Advance

I have this same thing happen to my 6970 every once in a while, and it's definitely not due to heat. I use beta drivers (usually) and as far as I can tell it's always a driver crash and nothing else (at least for me). It sounds like you might have corrupted driver files and maybe even corrupted registry files in your Windows OS.

What you should try and do is completely uninstall your AMD graphics drivers, then download a program called CCleaner and run its registry cleaner tool to remove any bad entries, then install the latest stable version of AMD drivers (which would be 12.6).

CCleaner link: http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/download
AMD graphics driver link: http://sites.amd.com/US/GAME/DOWNLOADS/Pages/downloads....
!