DDR overclocking

G

Hi all,
With this Samsung(Samshite) pc2100 I cant seem to move it from 133fsb on cas2 or default, gives errors when using 3D mark2001 etc. or wont boot at all. I have tried uping the memory voltage a few steps but still nothing.

System is overclocked on a 8k7a+ M/B, 1.4g Tbird at 1.6ghz (12 x133) 2v core, temps are fine.
Could it be that DDR memory is rated to its max'?
Or is this just a crappy brand of memory and would fix this with a quality brand?

Thanks in advance.

<A HREF="http://news.ninemsn.com.au/national/story_18170.asp" target="_new">Go home boatpeople</A>

mpjesse

Splendid
Sounds like crappy memory to me. But, it could be a PCI device, such as a network card, DSL modem, cable modem, etc. What type of video card do you have. If you have a NIC- that's the problem.

-MP Jesse

"Signatures Still Suck"

G

I have a Gforce 2mx, and a realtek network card/cable modem. Onboard sound card and no modem card.
I tried again earlier to o/c the fsb but no good at even 134! I also have a problem with the multiplier switching straight from 12x133 to 13x133(no 12.5x) at 1733mhz it wont boot, the core voltage wont go past 2.08v although it should by rights goto 2.20v.
I am suspicious this all ties in with each other issue.

<A HREF="http://news.ninemsn.com.au/national/story_18170.asp" target="_new">Go home boatpeople</A>

killall

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
its made by samsung... a company not too good for overclocking... they give you a speed at which it will run, you run it at that speed... if it doesnt run higher then its not their fault... its not rated higher because it cant take it... try getting kingston or crucial or something if you want to overclock fsb...

if in doubt blame microsoft...

mark_h

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2001
just slap 256mbs of crucial ect in & overclock away!!
its not exactly expencive these days
my crucial ddr 2100 CL2.5 running @ CL2 turbo 139 fsb no probs.

G

Thing is Crucial, corsair etc as far as I know don't have an outlet in Australia. So prolly have to order from the United States direct..I think Wusy did this from NZ!

killall

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
england has a similar problem though not as extreme, its a lot more difficult to find good hardware and prices are as stated before by someone at a 1:1 ratio ignoring the fact that the pund is worth around 1.4 dollars...

if in doubt blame microsoft...

mpjesse

Splendid
Try removing your network card/cable modem. Also, try disabling on board sound. I bet you a buffalo nickel that's what's holding you back. It's by no means a permanent solution- but at least you can find out what's holding you back.

-MP Jesse

"Signatures Still Suck"

G

Thanks, will give that a try.

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
i just remembered scotty...

hen my pc was working good (lol)
i found that for some reason 3dmark 200 and 2001 refused to run on an elevated system bus.
anything beyond 135-140 cauzed it to randomly crash back to the desktop.

Need MUCH more chlorine in the gene pool i believe.

G

Could you clarify what you said please? :smile:

Little confusing!

<font color=green>Lizards </font color=green>hide under rocks, <font color=red>Trolls</font color=red> hide under bridges ready to ruin things!

G

Well I removed the network card, disabled the onboard sound no difference, not one bit! Went through the Bios with a fine tooth comb as well.
But....this is what I did find out- the memory I was using does not like anything over 2.5v but the difference was very little in the end anyway.

I dropped the multiplier and core voltage back to 1.9v/11.5x133=1530mhz, I then was able increased the fsb to 140 effectivly reaching 1610mhz!

I tried various combinations to obtain a simular result without any great improvement on 1600mhz. So I suspect the pc2100 Samsung is good for a certain rating as previously mentioned and will back off on O/C until I get something decent.

Only one question puzzles me though, and that is why the Samsung stick at its own default limits the multiplier adjustments to 1600mhz, it seems to be de-stabilizing every setting above this?

<font color=green>Lizards </font color=green>hide under rocks, <font color=red>Trolls</font color=red> hide under bridges ready to ruin things!

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
*shrug*
ram can be a funny beast
even some multiplier settings can cauze it to missbehave, esecially if your at the upper end of its performance range.

be happy with what you have, or get better ram.

(comming from he who is stuck at 100FSB till i get a new mobo)

Need MUCH more chlorine in the gene pool i believe.

G

Hey, do you know of a Corsair or Crucial dealer in Oz?

How good are some of the other brands?

<font color=purple>Three ways to do things, your way, my way and the wrong way!</font color=purple>

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
no idea on either count.
not a ddr person really. y specialty is sdr.

but i do know corsair is the only mob with PC2400.
and its proper CAS 2 PC2400 too!
gotta be top notch.
supposedly kingmax make decent ddr as well. as i can strongly reccomend their sdr their ddr should also be good.

i was actually gonna ask you scotty do u know where i can find a decent enermax psu in this town???

In memory of the 90+ Auzzies missing in the WTC disaster. An attack that has changed the world.

G

I bought my Enermax 430watt online at <A HREF="http://www.auspcmarket.com.au" target="_new">Auspcmarket</A> they are selling for around $231.00 Aud delivered next working day, they have the 350w and 550w models in stock as well.
I buy a lot of stuff from them because they generally have the latest harware very soon after its released, although they dont have a wide range in some departments. Their tech sales guy is very good with information as well. <A HREF="http://www.dansdata.com" target="_new">Dansdata.com</A> recommends Auspcmarket and also reviews tons of stuff available here in Oz'.

Actually I went to the Corsair site and found an Australian dealer, they will supply pc2400 cas 2 256mb ram but none in stock for $168 per stick, Crucial dont have pc2400 as you said and could take an eternity to arrive from the USA. (Could get 2 x 256mb pc2100 Crucial for roughly the same price as 1 x pc2400 stick.)
Interesting how costly 512mb sticks are.wow.

<font color=purple>Three ways to do things, your way, my way and the wrong way!</font color=purple>

G

I have two sticks of Corsair DDR PC2100 CL2 and it runs 15mhz (avg) SLOWER than my Crucial DDR PC2100 CL2.5.

From what I've read, my results are typical. I am a firm believer in Crucial now.

Pally 1.2@1.4
MSI K7 Master
Swiftech MC462
Crucial 256 DDR x1

G

Was really thinking of Corsair pc2400 x 256mb sticks.

<font color=purple>Three ways to do things, your way, my way and the right way!</font color=purple>

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
mmmmm
thanx scotty...

gettin ready for summer here.
1. cut out the front hole like i did the back last nite.
(got 3-4 C off the mobo and 2-3 C off the core temp!)
very cheap and nasty job... definately bush mechanic material lol
2. replace the crap casefans with decent 37+ cfm suckers

3. go whole hog with the enermax 550... i want the downward facing fan!

4. install my tornado with its default 80mm fan replaced with another of those high thruput 37+ 80mm fans :)

then i will be ready for 30C+ temps around here!

In memory of the 90+ Auzzies missing in the WTC disaster. An attack that has changed the world.

G

Newbie here. What is the difference between PC2100 and PC2400? And will PC2400 work with any motherboard that supports PC2100? Thanks.

G

All those Enermax units in that store have that dual fan setup; only difference is the price, wattages, and accessory cables.

<font color=purple>Three ways to do things, your way, my way and the right way!</font color=purple>

G

The reason why DDR is called PC2100 is because it's theoretical throughput is 2.1Gbps (266mhz). PC2400 is not an official spec but it denotes 2.4Gbps (300mhz).

On top of the generic numbers you can look for other memory specs that effect performance - the biggie is CAS Latency, usually called CL2 or CL2.5 for DDR.

Besides all the numbers I still think your best off to buy quality memory over "high speed rated" memory. My Crucial PC2100 CL2.5 is currently running at 280mhz at CL2 but it's only rated to 266mhz CL2.5. I had the opposite experience with some "high speed" Corsair memory.

Pally 1.2@1.4 (10x140)
MSI K7 Master
Swiftech MC462
Crucial 256 DDR x1

G

So 300MHz at CAS2 would be good? Lower CAS is better. Just saw these specs on a 256MB Corsair memory module.

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
PC2400 (300Mhz ddr) is just special DDR ram that has been designed and certified to run at a speed greater than PC2100 (266Mhz ddr).

yes its VERY backwards compatible, but not worth it if your going to just run at stock speeds. this ram is for overclocking!

G

Thanks for your help! I really appreciate it. Since I will be overclocking I'm going to get the PC 2400.